New English Teacher. Hot: Check. Arrogant: Double Check. A Vampire: What?? /27/

Start from the beginning

That was futile. He was a vampire, and I was just a human. “No, you need to hear this. I’m not who you want me to be. I…I thought that I could forget about my past but I can’t. I am not a good guy, Melinda. I love you, but I can’t risk losing you like I did…”

Dawn?” I chimed in, not caring if he got pissed. “I am not her! You made a mistake, everyone does! And maybe yours was big, but it’s been so long! Can’t you just let it go and…”

What he did next shocked the hell out of me. He grabbed my shoulders roughly, his grip tight. I winced as he did so. “Stop, just stop! I know you’ll never be her, but don’t say her name! I can’t do this right now with you!” He shook me with a force that nearly made my head spin.

I realized that his fangs came out. This was not good…at all. I think he was reaching his breaking point. I could feel a pain shoot through my abdomen, as the tension built up within me.

“You’re hurting me Caleb, let go!” I screamed, as I brought my knee up and slammed it into his groin. He let out a moan, as he clutched himself.

Pushing past him, I ran past him and all but flew down the stairs. “Nick?!” I called out, yet heard no response. Where the hell is he? Caleb is losing it and I am not about to have him flip out again. I’ve never seen this side to him.

Dammit! Shaking my head, I took off out the front door, running down his porch steps. I don’t care where I go, but I am not sticking around here.

The woods that loomed all around seemed to engulf me, as my heart beat ferociously in my chest. That is not the Caleb I know, and I do not like that side. I didn’t feel safe when he was so obviously losing control.

I glanced around, not realizing where the hell I was. The stars blanketed the sky above, and the bright full moon seemed to light a path for me. Yet I nearly shrieked when a distant howl echoed into the night, causing me to trip over brush. Cursing, I felt something slice my knee.

“Shit!” I exclaimed, grasping my knee. The howl went off once more, and I could feel myself go pale. What the hell is that?

Breathing heavily, I pulled myself up and winced in pain from my knee. Yet as I looked up, I gasped as I saw a dark figure standing a few feet away from me. I let out a scream, but was immediately silenced when Jace appeared before me.

My eyes widened in surprise. “Jace? What are you doing here?” I questioned, though I couldn’t deny I was extremely happy to see him.

“I could sense your panic, and came as fast as I could.” He murmured, as he moved swiftly in front of me. “You’re hurt.” He said, as his gaze dropped slowly towards my leg.

I furrowed my brows in confusion. “You…sensed my panic?”

He flashed me a devilish grin. “Yes. Since I gave you my blood, I can sense you easier, and track you better. It helps me to know that you’re alright…or not as the case may be. Where is Caleb?” His tone got a little icier as he spoke his name.

I shook my head. “I don’t know, and I don’t care. I just want to get away from him. He seemed to have a break down or something.” I commented, not wanting to get into details.

Jace’s jaw tensed. “What did he do to you?” He questioned darkly.

I swallowed hard. “Nothing, don’t worry Jace.” I answered quickly, in hopes of avoiding a conflict. But that wasn’t going to happen, once I heard a familiar voice call out my name.

Melinda! Come on where are you? I’m sorry I lost my temper, if you would please just let me explain!” Caleb. Oh dear god this is not going to be good.