12|Mist

Papi came to get me the following day and he wouldn't even look me in the eye-not that I could see him properly.
The silence on the ride to the optometrist was unnerving,every ticking second adding to the suspension-leaving my nerves a stuttering mess,I was afraid to even blink.

"Papi-"
"Your mom wasn't home when the hospital called,your ass can thank the fire department." He interrupts without looking my way,his glare fixed on the road ahead.
"Lo siento,papi... I know I shouldn't have snuck-I just...I needed a break and-"
" Amor,I know. Sometimes,I drive up to the hill near my office and I just sit on the edge and pretend I'm a bird-free from the shackles of this skin and all its burdens,all its sorrows and it'd pains...I understand what you did,but it was dangerous. I'm already loosing you amor,don't make the process any faster." He lectures,emotion shrinking his voice as he sniffed and looked away,walking me into the building Infront.

The office we walk into smells sterile,the walls white-chairs a contrasting black.
Bleh bleh bleh bleh

When I finally put some glasses on,the sight of the doctor almost has me falling out of my chair-holy fucks! Mist stood there,hands in his pockets as he studies my face and the way my mouth swings open when my eyes finally lock onto him- I didn't know he worked here,or that he was old enough to even work!

"Well sir,you can come back again in a year's time to get the glasses medicated again. I would however advise you to buy a second pair since your daughter almost fell out of her chair right now-you're gonna need them." I almost push his shoulder,but I don't and opt to look at my shoes-I really needed to wash those

"I'm gonna be late for Savannah's playdate if I drop you off first-would you mind coming along?"
"I'll just...walk to the library and go home from there,I'll take an Uber." He nods,kissing me on the forehead before handing me a hundred bucks,"lo siento"
"It's okay papi,have fun."

After walking around the corner of the practitioners offices,I slump in tiredness and grimace about the harshness of the sun,it's too damn hot for the beginning of spring!"
I wipe the sweat off my forehead,jumping into a fighting position with my fists balled up infront of my face when a red car startles the hell out of me with its beep.
"The hell! Boy Tf was that for?"
"You didn't hear me when I said your name-"
"That's probably cause I was dying from a heatstroke!" I flick a finger at Mist,making to keep walking when he beeps again. "What!?"
"I could drive you home if you'd like...I was actually going to lunch,but I'll eat after I drop you off,get in."

He drove us to an Italian pizzeria a few buildings away from the library,and I was pleasantly surprised to find out he knew the owner personally,he seemed genuinely pleased to see us. "You're the first girl Kenan's ever brought here,so your meal's free. Order whatever you want." I couldn't tell him I hadn't had an appetite since Monday,so I grinned and nodded,ordering the cheapest and lightest pizza I could find on the menu before turning to Kenan.

"You didn't tell me you were an optometrist"
"In training. You never asked...come to think of it,you and I don't talk much when we're with the guys."
"Man I wish I was in training,I'm sure they pay y'all well and you don't have to worry about you parents scolding you for your grades" he laughs,his baby cheeks wobbling with the effect and I almost pinch them-hard. Granma'ma and auntTee would always grab up on my cheeks back then,when I still had my baby fat wimme.

"So your momma's black huh?"
"Yuuup" I pop the P and he nods, bringing his hand up to stroke his chin as he says,"let me tell you bout my mama,I got a role as a tree once in kindergarten and she got the whole block to come and watch the play...I ripped my pants Infront of Jayda,giiiiirl!"
"Then what?"
"You don't just rip your pants Infront of your crush,I'd be damned! I cried so hard mama's black ass had to whop mine to shut me the hell up!" His explanation was animated,his hands moved and made unconscious gestures,his eyes wide and bright orange,cheeks adding to the childlike looks of a grown man.
I snorted,the sound horrifying infront of Mist-Mist who was sooo pretty I didn't even think he pooped! I think I had a little crush on him...

After we ate and talked about our families,I found out his mom had passed when he was 13 and he went to college at 16, spent two years there and spent another 4 years in NYU before doing his practicals at Celeste Optometrist.

We sang along REAL badly to songs on the radio,him even screaming when Lovesick girls by Blackpink started playing. Being around someone who didn't watch my actions consciously- and just lived in the moment even if it meant running a red light because he was so focused on the song he was singing-felt satisfying and it gave me time to breathe.

"Stop staring at me like you wanna suck me off."
"Kenan!" He physically cringed at the name and I burst into a new fit of giggles,poking the dimple in his chin when he grinned at me,"don't call me that!"
"Well stop saying things like sucke off around a 16 year old,I'm still a kid" he laughs,punching my shoulder as he throws his head onto the steering wheel.
Melanie!!
I turn to find my mom on the porch, waving me over.
"I'm coming ma!"
"Say hi to your boyfriend for me"
"I'm not her boyfriend"
"He's not my boyfriend" we both yell out with panicked looks on our faces,looking at each other and bursting into stomach rupturing giggles.

I hop out,stumbling onto the lawn as Mist watches me walk across the lawn over to my mom,"byee Mel!"
"Byeee"

I smile as I look over the picture I took with Mist,tears stinging my eyes when I think that,in an alternative universe-Kyrie loves me and takes me to have breakfast at Tiffany's or even on the moon.

In an alternative universe,he stays up till 0 o'clock to exchange pictures of the moon and his gorgeous face with me...and maybe,if I work hard enough-this universe and that alternate could merge and be one. With that stupid thought in mind,I grab my phone and text the son of a bitch.