She gives me her famous "tell me or I'll make you tell me" look, and I finally cave.

"Okay fine. He's been ignoring me even more now. And it's not just missed texts anymore. It's missed study sessions, missed snack dates, missed everything. Our anniversary is in a week and a half, and who knows if he'll even remember that? I mean, I'm doubting if my boyfriend of almost a year will forget our anniversary. And honestly, I wouldn't be shocked considering how it's been going ever since he was named captain. I feel so bad saying this, but I wish he never was named captain. I just want my boyfriend back."

As I talk, I feel the tears start to flood my eyes. I quickly try to blink them back, but Ella comes to my rescue and starts dabbing them away. She then quickly squeezes my hand comfortingly. "I'm sorry Sade, I really didn't mean to make you cry. I wish I knew how bad this actually is. How about this. We get some dinner, convince my dad to let us have some drinks, and dance the night away?"

I give her a quick smile and squeeze her hand back. "Sounds perfect."

After a delicious dinner, an adorable slideshow of Ella's life so far, and a beautiful candle ceremony, the party starts up again. So many songs are played, complete with karaoke, poppers, and confetti.

When dessert is served, I think my eyes pop out of my head. Candy bar, ice cream station, chocolate fountain, cake, you name it. It's all here. I don't go overboard though, I just grab ice cream and some candy that I won't be eating until at least next week.

As soon as I stand up to go back onto the dance floor, I feel a tug on my arm. "What the hell Charlie?"

"Just follow me okay?"

I nod silently and let him lead me out of the main party room and into the lobby. He sits me down on one of the benches and takes my hands in his.

"Sadie, please just listen to me."

"What is there to say? You've been blowing me off for weeks."

"I know, but just hear me out okay?" he pleads. "Hockey's been taking up all my time. I need to prove to Orion and the team that making me captain was the right choice."

I sigh softly and start to rub my temples. "I know, but that doesn't mean you drop everything and everyone else to focus on hockey. Our showdown is next week, and playoffs start the week after that. I mean, we really have a chance to win states here Charlie!"

"And so do we!" he counters. "The team is counting on me. I can't be the person responsible for having our team lose our eleven year streak of winning states."

"Forget it." I mumble under my breath. "This isn't worth the argument."

I start to get up, but Charlie grabs my wrist and pulls me back down onto the bench. We stare at each other for a few seconds before he cups my face and softly kisses me.

I immediately kiss him back, how can I not? I know I'm supposed to be mad at him, and I am, but I love him. And it's hard to not kiss him back, even when I don't want to.

He pulls away, and in a raspy voice he asks the question I've been waiting for. "Do you want to go outside?"

Against my better judgment, I nod. He stands up and grabs my hand, pulling me to my feet. He leans into kiss me again, and I become lost in him.

I finally pull away after a while, and Charlie gives me the famous smile that I love. He pulls me closer for a hug, and I immediately wrap my arms around him.

"So, are we okay now?" he asks into my hair.

"Yeah, we're good." I answer with a giggle.

He lets go of me and smiles. "I'm glad. Now, let's go back inside. We still have an hour."