ii. annabeth gets hot chocolate with her moody sister and a scary praetor

━chapter two,❝annabeth gets hot chocolate with her moodyhalf-sister and a scary praetor!❞『A N N A B E T H』

chapter two,
❝annabeth gets hot chocolate with her moody
half-sister and a scary praetor!
A N N A B E T H

━━━Annabeth wishes she had an appetite because the Romans know how to eat.

     Sets of couches and low tables are carted into the forum quickly until it resembles a furniture showroom. Romans lounge in groups of ten or twenty, talking and laughing while wind spirits━aurae━swirl overhead, bringing an endless assortment of pizzas, sandwiches, chips, cold drinks, fresh-baked cookies, and basically anything you could ever want. Drifting through the crowd are purple ghosts━Lares━in togas and legionnaire armor. Around the edges of the feast, fauns trot from table to table, panhandling for food and spare change. In the nearby fields, the war elephant frolicked with Mrs. O'Leary, and children play tag around the statues of Terminus that line the city limits. The whole scene is so familiar yet completely alien that it gives Annabeth vertigo.

     All she wants to do is be with Percy━preferably alone. But she knows it will have to wait. If their quest is to succeed, they need these Romans, which means getting to know them and building their trust.

     Reyna sits in between Valentina and Romeo, and the blond kid Octavian, freshly back from burning a teddy bear for the gods, sits in a rather small chair beside them. Percy joins the crew with his three new friends, Regina and Frank and Hazel. As a tornado of food platters settles onto the table, Percy leans over and whispers, "I want to show you around New Rome. Just you and me. This place is incredible."

     Annabeth should've felt thrilled. Just you and me━that's exactly what she wants. Instead, resentment builds in her throat. How can Percy talk so enthusiastically about this place? What about Camp Half-Blood━their camp, their home?

     She swallows back some biting comments. "Okay. Sure."

     "I've been thinking," he says nervously. "I... well, I had this, uh, idea━"

     He stops as Reyna calls a toast to friendship.

     After introductions all around, the Romans and Annabeth's crew begins exchanging stories. Jason explains how he'd arrived at Camp Half-Blood without his memory, and how he'd gone on a quest with Piper and Leo and Ajax to rescue the goddess Hera (or Juno, take your pick━she's equally annoying in Greek or Roman) from imprisonment at the Wolf House in northern California.

     "Impossible!" Octavian breaks in. "That's our most sacred place. If the giants had imprisoned a goddess there━"

     "They would've destroyed her," says Piper, "and blamed it on the Greeks, and started a war between the camps. Now, be quiet and let Jason finish."