Chapter 42: Setting A Date

Start from the beginning

Faylin tried to hide her disappointment. She was confident that he was NOT talking about her.
"She sounds amazing."

"She is." He smiled sweetly, still not looking up.

"I'm not much of an expert on the whole relationship thing, I've never even dated anyone. But, um." She looked puzzled and thought for a minute. "Maybe just tell her what you just said. Everything about her. If someone said that to me then I would pretty much instantly say yes to going to a wedding." She laughed in attempt to hide her own sadness.

"What if I already told her, but she didn't realize it?" He looked up.

"Well, how long ago was that? Maybe just ask her to go, then?" Faylin looked down at the blanket in her lap, focusing on one of the small woven patterns. "I'm not really sure, honestly. Maybe, um. Maybe just talk to her. Or, I guess you could-"

"Faylin, look at me."

"You could surprise her, but not in a scary way or anything."

"Faylin."

"Or, you could-" Faylin didn't know what she said next. All she knew was that she was spiraling. She couldn't think normally. "You could-" She felt a tear roll down her face. I need to get away, get out of here.

"Faylin. Please look at me."

"You should get her some flowers. She'd probably like that."

"Faylin." Reno gently took her hands into his own.

"What?"

Reno could hear the immense strain in her voice as she tried to sound like she wasn't sad.

"Look at me, please."

Faylin kept her eyes glued to the blanket resting on her lap.

Reno stood up and moved closer to Faylin. He gently lifted her up bridal style and sat back down on the couch. Faylin was leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Reno, I- you need to leave." She struggled to get out of Reno's arms, but eventually stood up and walked over to the door, pulling his wrist.

"Fay."

She looked up at him for half a second before looking back down and reaching for the door.

"Fay, she's you."

Her hand stopped right over the door knob as she whipped her face back around. "I swear, Reno. If you're lying-"

"You're just as stubborn as I am." He laughed.

"I will actually punch you this time if you're lying."

"Relax, Fay."

"How am I supposed to relax when-"

Reno cautiously lifted her chin up so that she was looking at him.

"I'm not lying, Fay. I swear to my Vod."

A look of realization over took Faylin's face. "Haar'chak. I'm so kriffing stupid!" Faylin paced her living room. "How did I manage to mess this up so badly? I'm too stubborn. I just needed to-"

Reno grabbed her arm as she was turning around to pace another lap, causing her to crash into him.

"I'm sorry! I'm so clumsy, I-"

Faylin was cut off by Reno's lips meeting her own. She stood frozen in shock for a second, but moved when she realized what was happening. Reno's hands found Faylin's waist as easily as hers made their way up to his neck. After what felt like an eternity, they both pulled away.