Chapter 3

Emily

The road ahead was filled with cars and road rage. It was late afternoon on a weekday on the Virginia highway. Honestly, it would have been better to leave in the wee hours of the night or the early morning, but I just wanted to get out of there. I just wanted to go so badly. I needed to leave.

A new life was waiting around the corner. Unfortunately, traffic is getting in the way of that. At least it's giving me time to think. Think about what to do when I get to Aunt Cheryl's. How will I explain it to them? How will I explain that I found my mate, but he rejected me because I was a witch? They will be furious when I tell them what he called me and what he's done.

I would have to make them promise me that they won't go after him or kill him. I've moved on, or the rejection has let me move on. I'm still hurt. There's no doubt about it, but nothing will change it. The only thing I can do is move on, and that's what I will do.

I turn into the familiar road that leads to my new home, the Lilac Mansion, home of the High Magus, Cheryl Debrica, and her son, Theodore Debrica. They are also known as my godmother, Aunt Cheryl, and my brother in spells, Theo. Being a sibling in spells means that they vow to protect each other. They are closer than siblings.

I feel the barrier around the house as I drive through. It only lets in friends and can sense the intentions of whoever enters. One more short mile later, I was in my godmother's and brother's driveway. Before I got out of the car, I took a deep breath. They undoubtedly knew why I came here beforehand, but I feared how they would react. Anger, obviously, but what about disappointment in me? I know it's silly, but there have been cases where children have been disowned because of a mate rejection.

I barely have time to collect myself when I'm pulled out of my car and into a hard chest.

Theo. His slim figure gave the impression that he wasn't strong, but that couldn't be wrong. His dirty, blond hair mixed with mine as he hugged me.

"Hey, Theo," I wheezed.

"Hey, Em," he whispers. "You'll be ok."

My eyes were wide, then I looked up at him. He kisses my temple and squeezes me before letting me go. "And you will never be disappointed, especially for something as stupid as that."

"Uh, how?"

"You're my sister in spells, remember. I can tell what you're thinking and feeling."

I grimace. I forgot about that.

"He's right, Emily. Times have changed," a soft voice spoke.

I knew who it was. That same voice held not only authority but love, too. Aunt Cheryl, the High Magus, came down the stairs looking as elegant as ever. Wherever she goes, she commands the room. Everyone shows her respect, and she deserves it. Aunt Cheryl has done so much for the magical world. She reigned as the High Magus for many years, and everyone expected Theo to take over. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

She sauntered over to me and, just like her son, gave me a hug. However, unlike Theo's, which was bone-crushing, hers was gentler. Her long blonde hair raked over me. The sweet smell of her shampoo was calming. Her hug reminded me of my mother and Ian. She might not look it, but she was furious about the situation. I'm pretty sure Theo put a spell on her to not hurt Zeke.

After a few more minutes, Aunt Cheryl let me go and kissed me. "Welcome to your new home," she smiled. "Are you ready?"

I nodded.

"Theodore, bring her luggage to her room," Aunt Cheryl ordered.

"You'll love your room, sis," he smiled. "I decorated it myself!"