Chapter 1 - New Counsellor

Capricorn POV

I pulled my luggage out of the uber and checked the time: 6:45 pm. I looked out to the distance, it was mostly trees and a single pathway but if you squint really hard you can kind of see the outline of what looks like cabins. In front of the pathway, there was a large sign that said "WELCOME TO OUR CAMP OF STARS" in royal blue on a black background with white paint splatters, which I guess was supposed to resemble stars.

I looked down the path to see a silhouette of what looked to be three people running toward me.

"HELLO! HELLO!" The fastest one screamed. I stood there confused, are they running from something? Should I start running?

As I slowly started to take off my flats, I see a blur of orange, then something grabbed onto my shoulder and spun me around, causing me to almost fall.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed, and suddenly I'm facing a panting, tall white ginger girl with curly hair, a shitton of freckles, and muscles. "Sorry had to use you to stop myself, y'know how it be," she said and punched me in the arm. "Ow, what?" I mumbled.

"Jesus *pant* Airs.... what the hell!?" A South Asian man came running in second completely out of breath. He had short light brown hair that matches his eyes. He was extremely tall and extremely skinny, it made me feel shorter than I already was. He stood up straight and pulled out a handkerchief to wipe his sweat. "Hello, I'm Cancer," he said and held out his hand.

"Capricorn, why were yall running?" I decided to ask. "It was a race," the ginger said. "No the hell it wasn't," said the man angrily. "Yeah no, we're running since someone decided to anger the fucking raccoons!" A black girl, my height with a large afro and dark brown eyes said finally catching up to the rest. I realized that instead of wearing the blue camp shirt and jeans like the other two, she was wearing very low shorts and her camp shirt seemed to be cut in half.

"Hey! Language" Cancer warned. "Whatever... you the new counsellor? " the girl replied. "Uh yeah," I replied, "cool, Libra," she said and held out her hand. "Only these two idiots call me "Bra" " she added and nudged her head in the direction of the other two.

"Alright..." I mumbled and took her hand but in the middle of our shake, she brought my hand to her face. "Your nails are cute," she said. "Oh thanks" I replied and pulled my hand away. "Yours are nice too," I said, looking at her long blue acrylic nails, "did you break those two?" I asked, signalling towards her index and middle finger which were missing nails.

"Yeah totally" she replied quickly with a smile. "Anyways, I'm Aries, you can call me Airs, let's get you set up at camp yeah" Aries, the ginger girl cut in.

~~~

After walking around and seeing the lake, activities fields, the mess hall, the guidance office and the counsellor's office, we finally got to the campers and counsellors' cabins.

There were 6 cabins in total, in a circle formation there on each side there were two small cabins and then in the middle, there were two large cabins.

"The large cabin on the right is where you'll stay with your roommate, Cancer," Aries said then pat me on the back.

"Anyways if you need any help getting settled in, ask Cancer because Aries and I are busy," Libra said as she grabbed Aries's arm and ran in a different direction.

Cancer rolled his eyes and sighed, "here I'll grab your bags" he offered. "Thanks," I said.

"No Problem, so why did you decide to work here?"

"Uhhh..."

"This isn't an interview, you can be honest"

"If I'm being honest, the pay, 60 dollars an hour to watch some teens is a better deal than the rest of the jobs offering"

Cancer chuckled, "It was the benefits that really sealed the deal for me," he said as I opened the door to the cabin. "I didn't even know summer camps provide benefits" I joked as I helped him bring in my bags. "So is that the only reason?". "Well I also got fired from my last job" I replied casually. "What why?" He asked. "Well apparently making sure the manager does their job correctly is "disrespectful" and I "need to learn my place" " I answered.

"oh god, don't try that with Aries she might actually fight you," he said while softly laughing. "I make no promises, what can I say I'm a natural leader," I say. "So why did you decide to work here," I asked. "Well long story short after a bunch of begging from Aries, I kind of had two choices this or med school" he explained. "You left med school!" I exclaimed.

"Of course"

"Why!?"

"Listen, If I stayed in med school it would've ended in me killing everyone and then myself" He joked. "My dad would've killed me if I dropped out of med school" I quipped. "Actually Mom stopped loving me for a good while" he replied. We chuckled for a good minute. "Anyways I should really get unpacked here," I say as I grabbed one of my bags. "Yeah you should before the kids arrive," he said. "When are the kids coming by the way?" I ask.

"Tomorrow"