.017

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    I find myself back in my room as soon as the doctor is done looking at me. A headache has fallen over me, so I've resorted to drinking small sips of water and munching on some saltine crackers while I wait for the Tylenol the doctors gave me to kick in.

    I realize that sometimes, loneliness falls over me in a spell worse than I can describe. I know Daryl is here with me and there are plenty of others within the Kingdom's walls that I can trust just fine, but none of them are Carl and that's the bottom line. I realize that we've had our ups and downs - our times of love and arguments - but in the end he's always been there. As I sit crisscross on my bed and look out the window, I'm saddened to remember that he isn't here right now.

    I look at the clock, seeing it to be about four now. I stand, gaining strength in my legs despite the pulsing in my head. I walk closer to the window, gazing down at the street below. It's been awhile since I last saw Daryl. In fact, I figured that I would've found him again after I left the infirmary, but I hadn't and that was almost quite a few hours ago. I scan the square for him, but don't see him among the small crowd of people clustered outside, going about their daily jobs.

    I survey the area, my eyes landing on Benjamin, who is standing in the square with his wooden staff in his hand. Before I can process what I'm doing, I'm backing away from the window and out the door to our room.

    The bright sun does nothing in the efforts of relieving my sharp headache pains that just seem to be getting worse and worse. I wrinkle my nose slightly, squinting my eyes as I navigate my way across the square and towards Benjamin. I call his name once I get closer, watching as he turns around to face me.

    "Hey. Is everything okay?" he asks. I nod my head slowly, looking around us.

    "Have you seen Daryl lately? I haven't seen him since this morning." Benjamin's expression shifts from confusion to realization. Just the same, he gently shakes his head, his curls ruffling softly.

    "I don't, sorry." I stare at him a moment longer, even as his shifting eyes beg to break eye contact.

    "I think you're lying to me," I say, pressing my lips together. "I think you're lying and you should tell me where he is." Benjamin's eyes fall upon me again looking at me for a second before he frowns and pulls his lips apart.

    "What would you do if I told you," Benjamin begins quietly.

    "I think that's obvious," I reply anxiously, wishing he would stop playing this stupid game and just tell me.

    "You know you shouldn't."

    "But whatever it is, you know I will."

    Benjamin swallows hard, finally giving in. "I don't know exactly where he is. I just saw him leaving with Richard a few hours ago. They went past the walls, but I don't know where to."