"I love you – you, Ethan. So man up and act rational."

He gave me a stiff nod after a few seconds and leaned forward slowly with eyes dead set on my mouth. I planned to meet him half way with my own set of puckered up lips but his phone's annoying rap ringtone stopped us before we got started. He pulled back with an irritated sigh and reopened his eyes before looking down at the screen of his phone.

"I've got to go." he mumbled.

I swallowed lightly, "Who is it?"

"Nobody." He answered quickly and for the briefest of seconds, I saw a flash of guilt run through his darkly colored eyes. It was strange because I was positive that if I didn't know what was going on I would have missed it which was strange since I could write the lexicon on what each of his facial expressions meant.

I nodded a response, "Okay, well, if you don't have anything else to tell me, I'll catch up with you later."

That same brief spark twinkled again and disappeared as he leaned towards me and placed a kiss on my cheek that was cute, small, simple and the first one he had given me since we became official that wasn't connected to my lips.

He span on his heels clumsily and practically bolted down the hall. I huffed drearily and leaned against the wall before the heels of Karla sounded from around the corner where her and Abby were hidden and listening to our conversation.

I turned to meet her worried eyes as well as Abby's softer ones. "I'm sorry, Spence."

"I thought for sure he would have told me if I responded well to him not being nominated." I admitted and once again leaned up on the wall.

Abby sighed and came closer, wearing a yellow sundress with jeans under, "He's scared."

I rolled my eyes, "He's lying as well." I looked over to Karla, "Did you reprint the real nomination list with his name on it?"

She shook her head, "Not yet, and you're damn lucky that I'm on this damn committee."

I rolled my eyes playfully at her, "Remind me to thank you in my coronation speech Saturday night, then."

Abby tried to laugh but her smile was basically gone before it got a chance to grow, "So, what are you going to do?"

I remained silent and Karla stepped forward and rested a hand on my shoulder, "Has he called you back?"

I nodded and looked at her, "We spoke the same day Austin dropped had bombshell on me."

Abby leaned forward, "And?"

"It's true. Ethan and Austin dated back in March. They broke up, Austin was angry so he targeted me to torture Ethan. Apparently, I was just seconds late to watch the fireworks myself in the park."

"Thank God," Abby muttered, "This would have been much worse if you saw the both of them together."

Karla nodded, "I have to agree. You're level headed for the most part, Spence but, when you get angry, you're more dangerous than a hungry bear."

"I'm taking that as a compliment." I quipped and briefly looked down at my watch and groaned, "I better get home; my parents are having a Welcome home, Kai-slash-Congratulations Spencer family dinner."

Karla dry heaved, "I'd rather be dipped in lava than sit through family dinners." She shivered, "What are you celebrating anyway?"

"My 4.0 Grade Point Average that will get me into all my AP classes for senior year."

Abby cocked her head, "Isn't it a little too early to be celebrating?"

Karla nodded, "Those results aren't out for another three weeks or so."