20. Feelings and Omkara

Music for the Chapter: Tere Rang by Shreya Ghoshal and Haricharan from Atrangi Re

Even without all the shringaar, ones my mother claimed should be known to every woman, Sonakshi was pretty. Especially her tigress-like eyes. Almost like it was a tigress out on the prowl. Especially when taken on the mantle as Kali. Almost becoming predatory at that moment.

"You aren't looking at me, Ravikara." The form of Sonakshi melted away to reveal Ananda standing there.

"I..." This was too much. I got up. She caught my arm and stopped me.

"I've been trying to make up from the time we have been away, Ravikara. But if you just want to avoid me, this isn't going to work. I know that since I joined up with Guru Brihaspati, we have grown up quite a lot and now when I am back, it is difficult to react the same way. I know something has changed but avoiding this is not helping. Both our parents are actually talking about us." She explained. "It isn't going to help if you're unwilling to make at least a little time for us."

"I know, Ananda. Trust me, I know. I am already hounded by my mother about marriage."

She looked at me. She really wanted to say something but bit down the reply. She handed me a box. "I'm sorry. I tried to make your favourite sweet. I spent the whole afternoon trying to get it right so it would taste the way you like it. Like how Chhayya maa makes it. When your mood gets better, do eat it. I wouldn't disturb you now. Whenever you feel better, let me know."

She let go of my hand and walked away.

Why?? All of this is Kama's fault. Everything was going really well but he had to attack me with his crazy arrows and now I am losing my mind.

I got up, trying to follow Ananda. She was sitting by my sister's pond.

"I know we aren't kids anymore, Didi. I know we all change since our childhood phase but how far have I really changed that he suddenly treats me like this is a burden? Every single day. Every single day, I try to be better than yesterday. I gave up on talking to the friends I had that he didn't get along with. I spend hours trying to learn how to make his favourite food." She was actually crying.

She had always gotten along better with Yami didi. She doesn't visit Suryalok often but this pond has always remained her place. Even if she didn't stay here, it gave a feeling that she was there.

It was always easy with her when I was younger. We gelled together like the greatest of friends. When she turned 11, she went ahead to Devguru Brihaspati's gurukul and was learning there along with all the other devakumaras. I was in Vaikuntha with Sri Hari as my teacher. We came across each other here and there for certain work that we did for our Guru. It was always easy. Until I met Sonakshi. The girl was born from the womb of Jagadamba. If I didn't know how she looks when she is dressed as a princess, I would have assumed that she would follow up behind Mahadev in her appearance. Associating herself with the same simplicity that Shiva follows. The snakes, the ashes, and the dead animal skin.

Even with the girl taking the form of a tapasvi, the hair tied up in a bun up her hair, white clothing, rudraksha and bhasma, her beauty was unparalleled.

I left Suryaloka and reached the banks of Yamuna. The place I knew my sister would be the happiest. The banks of Yamuna in Vrindavan. Even before I saw my sister, familiar energy reached me. The one that was the softest in its touch, like how a lotus opens its whorls at the touch of sunlight.

I instantly bowed down to Vrindavaneshwari. Her beautiful feet were the first things my eyes saw. The red-tinted feet. Her blue clothing and simple jewellery. Flowers decorating her long braid. A beautiful choodamani on her head. Almost as bright as the moon itself.