fourteen.

SKYE WOKE UP THE NEXT DAY EARLIER THAN SHE FELT SHE'D woken up ever before in her life. something about the thought of rooster actually planning something to do with her made her feel, once again, like she had the right to brag about it for the rest of her life.

when she got out of bed, katia was already awake, and getting ready to go to the beach with jake. "when did this happen?" she asked as she took a drink of her water.

"when did what happen?" skye replied, attempting to tame her hair into a half up half down.

"us going on dates."

skye didn't protest the title this time, since it did feel like she was getting ready for a date. instead, she simply grabbed her mascara and shrugged. "we just became impossibly even more perfect, and now we are the women of every man's dreams."

katia rolled her eyes. "whatever. where are you two going?"

"not sure yet. he says it's a surprise, but he's allegedly planned something." skye replied, trying to decide if she liked the way her tank top looked on her.

"you look great." katia assured her when she noticed her hesitant look in the mirror. "come on, seriously. plus i'm sure you could wear a garbage bag and that man would still swoon over you."

skye shook her head, a small smile forming on her lips. "nothing between us is official at all yet, calm down."

the blonde chuckled. "it might as well be! i see the way he looks at you."

"how are things going with you and fang?" she replied, wanting the conversation to be off of her. "i see the way he looks at you, too."

it was katia's turn to blush, looking away. "yeah, things are going well. i think i really like him."

skye smiled. "i'm so happy for you. he seems like he's always so invested in what you have to say. like every time i look over at you two he's just enthralled and hanging onto your every word."

katia shook her head. "no, no. he's a good listener. but i feel like we could be together long term, you know? i'm not talking like.. marriage. that's far out there. but i can see myself being with him for a while."

the brunette patted her on the back, finishing the final touches of her outfit by putting on her rings and grabbing her bag and shoes. "i'm really happy for you, kat. you deserve to finally have a relationship with someone that makes you feel appreciated."

she recalled all of the relationships that katia had gone through in high school, and how awful each of them had been for her mentally. all of her partners had treated her like garbage by the end of it, and skye never knew what to do or say, since she hadn't been in any sort of relationship. the two then had steered clear of any relationships until they were in the top gun program, which had seemingly wrecked their plans. not that they minded.

"okay, so i'm going to drive over to jake's place, and then we're going to go to the beach. do you know when you're gonna get back?" katia asked, grabbing her own bag.

skye shrugged as she grabbed her sunglasses. "i have no idea. i think we'll be out for most of the day, probably back before dinner though if you want to get something."

"sounds like a plan. call me if you need anything."

"yeah, for sure. don't forget your sunscreen." skye said, laughing as katia automatically turned on her heel to get the sunscreen that she consistently forgot about. "okay, see you!"

"yeah, see ya!"

the door closed, and skye was home alone for barely five minutes before someone knocked on the door. she smiled at the sight of rooster, wearing jean shorts and a t-shirt. "are those jorts?" she asked, eyeing his legs.