3: LAUREN

"He just screwed all of us over. How can he do that?" I don't think I have ever felt this betrayed before. Killer was family. You don't steal from family, and that's exactly what he did. So selfish!

"I don't know."

"Aren't you mad about this, Carter?"

"I am."

"God. I hate it when you are like this." I stop walking across the parking lot and take a moment to blow out some of this pent-up rage. "I'm going to call Ray."

"No."

"What do you mean no?"

"I don't want you working there."

"Well, Dad. That's too bad. I need the money." Our crew needs the money. Doesn't he realize that? And maybe if I can make good money at Ray's, I can quit teaching at the Academy.

I knew I wouldn't win. As soon as Killer told me he wasn't sharing his cut, I just knew something was wrong. Clearly, he paid off or promised the judges something for the win.

"We aren't that desperate, Lo. Don't be stupid. That place isn't for you."

Not that desperate? I'm that desperate. I was going to call Ray either way. Textbooks set me back more than I expected and ate through my savings from summer, making me short of what I would want to be at starting the semester.

"I'm calling him." Carter flattens his lips, and his hands curl at his side.

"We can do more battles." I scoff at his ridiculous suggestion. He can't be serious.

"Why? So, they can cheat us out of that win too? I earned it tonight, and you know it!" I push a pointed finger into his chest for dramatic effect. Because right now, I am feeling the drama.

"Calm down, Lo." Carter's eyes slide to his right as a group of guys walk by.

"Calm down, he says," I mutter. "I can't calm down. I'm angry! What are you going to do about Killer?"

"He's on his own now. He made his choice. Killer made it clear he wanted out. He's out now."

"And that's why we can't battle here. He's going to keep paying people off. There's no point. He's got people in his back pocket for whatever reason. I don't want to do it anymore. I need to focus on school anyway."

"And you can do that while you work over at Ray's place?" He raises a questioning eyebrow at me. I want to smack him and tell him to stop treating me like a kid. Carter may run the crew, but he doesn't run me.

"Yes. Don't worry about me."

"That's all I seem to do lately."

"I didn't ask you to."

"You stepped into my world. You should have kept to yourself if you didn't want me in your business." Carter's words make my blood run cold. Keep your eyes on the ground, Lauren. Don't talk to anyone, Lauren. Don't cause trouble, Lauren. The words have been drilled into me every day growing up.

"I don't want to fight with you. I'm tired." I also need to get out of here and back to the dorms. There are too many pairs of eyes on me right now. It's an eerie feeling being watched like this.

"Yeah, okay. You still meeting up with Los, Cash, and everybody on Tuesday?" I nod. "I'll make sure they get there."

"Thanks."

"Text me when you get home." He looks around at the mingling crowd, gives me a slight nod, and walks away between a row of cars.

I reacclimate myself with the parking lot and set a quick pace toward my car. Navigating the parking lot is just as bad as inside the club. You have to deal with clusters of people, and you are also dodging cars that are backing out of parking spots.

EASY OUTजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें