1: LAUREN

I am living a double life.

And tonight, I am going to be exposed.

Tonight, people will learn that there are two different sides to me. There is the Lauren I am on campus. Quiet. Introverted. Reserved. Invisible. And then there is the Lauren I am when I step on the dance floor. Loud. Bold. Fierce. Center of attention.

I read the text from my roommate Sydney one more time. I tried to talk them out of it. But they wouldn't back down. We're coming to The Warehouse tonight.

I screw my eyes shut tight and let out a long exhale. It shouldn't surprise me that Sydney couldn't talk her brother and his friends out of coming tonight. It's move-in week, and everyone on campus has been talking about the new club that opened over the summer.

It's been the place to be the last few months. Everyone who is anyone local to Montgomery has been to The Warehouse at least once. And if you are part of a crew? You've been here every weekend trying to win a battle and, more importantly, represent your crew.

I almost didn't show up tonight, with school starting next week. My intuition told me it would be a bad idea, and Sydney just confirmed it. I refuse to let Carter down, though. He's counting on me.

Carter is the leader of the King's Crew. I became a member a little over two years ago. It's been the best thing that's ever happened to me. Joining the crew gave me a home. It's also become one of my biggest secrets. Sydney is the only person at school who knows this little fact about me. Not anymore.

I guess my double life isn't that big of a deal. It isn't like I have a secret family or anything. I'm just worried because I don't know what people will think when they see me dance.

I'm not ashamed. I just don't want people to be like me for the wrong reasons. It's happened before, and I've learned my lesson.

I didn't come to Alabama to make friends. I came here to start over and get an education at Newhouse University. Yet, I somehow found a family with the King's Crew, Sydney, and Nash.

The Warehouse is nearly blacked out except for the LED lights shooting up the walls and strobing around the multiple bars and the dance floor.

I weave my way through a sea of black and gold. Alabama State is representing hard. I bet if I look across the room, a swarm of blue, black, and silver will be found. Newhouse is here too. Perfect.

SYD:

We just parked.

ME:

K. I'll go hide now.

SYD:

You can't hide from me, babe.

Don't I know it.

Sydney and I became roommates freshman year. I tried to keep to myself, but Sydney is a parasite. She wormed her way into my heart in such a way that I didn't even know it was happening until it was too late.

I don't know what I would do without her now. It might be our last year living together, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. As much as part of me is ready for what's next. I also want to hold tight to Sydney for as long as I can.

I love Syd, but I still plan on avoiding her tonight if I can. I need to stay focused and remember why I'm here. Winning. The grand prize tonight is five thousand dollars.

With so many dance crews from ASU, Huntingdon, and Newhouse, Carter thought it would be best to split our crew up. That means I'm dancing on my own tonight, and so is Killer.