2: HART

Nash whispers something in Koa's ear before sulking up the stairs like a petulant child. Koa nods in agreement. Then scowls at Lauren, which raises my hackles for some reason, then turns his attention back to Sydney.

I know as much about Lauren as I do the bartender who passed me a bottle of beer five minutes ago, but I don't think she is wrong for saying what she did. Why does everyone care who she is hanging out with? Is it just because of Sydney?

I don't blame Lauren for being irritated with the guys. I don't like what Koa said any more than Lauren did. I probably would have punched him if he wasn't one of my best friends.

Truthfully, friend or not, I still want to punch him. He knows why I am the way I am. But that's not why I want to hit him. It's the stern gaze he keeps casting in Lauren's direction. For some reason, that is pissing me off.

Ever since she joined our group tonight, her presence has overwhelmed me. She is quiet. And tiny. Yet, I feel her all over me. Just standing beside her makes me feel like I've been rolling around in fiberglass. My skin is on fire, and it is craving relief.

"Hart," Marco gets my attention. "I'm going to go check on Nash. The little girl got to him." I nod. I wish I knew what he means. Is Nash interested in Lauren? Or just friends? Why do I care? I'm friends with Nash, but he's a lot closer to Marco since they are both a year behind the rest of us.

"Take Enzo." Marco's eyes question me for a second before agreeing. I don't want Enzo to ask Lauren any more questions. She's not his business any more than she is mine. I won't let him see I'm concerned about it.

And when I get Enzo alone later, I plan on asking him why he is so interested in Sydney's roommate. The pequeña bruja seems to affect all my friends.

Koa can't stop glaring. Enzo is suddenly taking after his father with all his questions. Nash is acting like a child. Wyatt is flirting. And me? I'm three seconds from rubbing up against her like a tom cat to see if it puts out the fire burning under my skin.

"What was this place like over the summer?" Wyatt asks with his flirty eyes and dimples popping in his cheeks. I bet Lauren doesn't even realize he's attempting to flirt with her. He's always been terrible at it.

Not that I'm any better. I don't talk to girls. I never had to do it. I'm cold and callous on the surface. For some reason, that makes me attractive. I don't have to do anything except send the girls on their way. I'm not interested in dating, hooking up, or anything that takes my focus off of baseball.

"The same but different people," Lauren answers dryly.

"Damn. You are like Hart, ain't ya?" I risk a glance over at Lauren. Not that I can see much of her with the baseball cap covering her face.

I can't see much of Lauren at all. She is drowning in an oversized tee shirt and a pair of joggers. I don't know if this is a style choice or if she can't find clothes that fit properly because of her size.

"Doubt it," I grunt in agreement or annoyance. I'm not sure which. Wyatt smirks. He finds it hilarious that there is someone else who doesn't like to talk a lot. He doesn't understand the concept of being quiet.

"Yo! Koa, what's up, man?" I barely hear Matt Dailey shout over the music. Lauren moves a millimeter in my direction at the sound of his voice. I only register the movement because her forearm grazes mine sending chills up my arm. Why she didn't turn to Syd, I have no idea.

Koa and Matt greet each other. Matt asks about Nash and if he is around. Matt is the starting quarterback for Newhouse, and Nash is his backup. If Matt wasn't a senior, Nash would be starting. He's got the drive and the talent. I'm not just saying that because he is my friend. I wouldn't want to feed his ego that much.