𓊈卍 𝟕𝟐 卍𓊉

Start from the beginning

She sees him shudder under her gaze. "But-"

"We've been doing this for six months, with the only progress being that more people die. What good would it do if we kept wasting our time here."

"B-but, why?!"

"Hm, well, I dunno. Maybe, just maybe, it's because in the future, and even in the past, PEOPLE KEEP DYING!!"

"Well, we saved Draken!"

'This idiot is more stubborn than I am!!' Nakano scoffs. "He was sent to death row, and was killed by Manjiro. I get you're optimistic, but we have to face reality now. Fate can't be rewritten."

"Yes it can!"

"Oh, yes, you're right!" Nakano can feel herself spiraling into an emotional tornado, and they jumble up in sarcasm. "How could I have forgotten? We've been sentencing more people to death! Such an accomplishment!"

"Hey!" Takemichi has the audacity to glare back at her. "At least we're-"

"Doing our best? Trying our hardest? Well, it's not enough, and apparently it never will be."

"I can't give up, Nakano! I just... I can't... I don't want to see them die over and over." Nakano stays quiet this time, too tired to even verbally fight back at this point. "I have to keep trying. I'm just here to say... If you don't want to do this anymore, I understand." He sticks out his hand. "If you want to go back, I'm not stopping you. But I'm going to keep trying to change the future, and you can't stop me."

Nakano glances at his hand, then back at his face. There's a spark of determination, while his gaze remains gentle towards her. An expression she used to see a lot when they were kids. As she stares into his eyes, she suddenly feels a faint surge of that familiar serenity.

Like that, her expression changes. Her hard exterior drops, and she reveals the sorrow she's been hiding for months. She can't bring herself to care anymore. Slowly, her walls come crumbling down, just as her life did.

"Hah." Nakano gives him a pathetic fake smile. "You have no idea what it's like for me. Not a goddamn clue. But I gotta say." She glances back up at him with a much softer gaze. "Despite my skill and experience, you're miles ahead of me in a different league." She hangs her head low as she feels a hint of guilt. "I know it sounds selfish but... I don't want to do this anymore. I-I'm sorry..."

She suddenly feels two hands gripping her shoulders, momentarily startling her, causing her to lift her head up.

"I should be sorry. I should've known that I shouldn't have brought you into this mess. This is my problem, not yours. You've done enough for me already, and helped me get this far."

He gives her a bright smile.

"You're the best twin sister I could've ever asked for!"

Her heart skips a beat, but she has no time to react when he pulls her into a tight hug. She stiffens beneath him.

'I... I'm sorry... I'm not what you think I am...'

She just pats him on the back, uncomfortable with giving him a hug now that she knows the truth. It just doesn't feel the same to her. Once he releases her, tears have already formed small beads in the corners of his eyes.

'Once a crybaby, always a crybaby, huh.'

"Please take care of yourself, Nakano." His smile is softer, and somehow gives her that sense of calm again. How does he do that? She doesn't have a clue. "Wherever the future may take you, promise me one thing."