Chapter 16

I pressed the button, wincing with the expectation that Stephen's precious car would blow up. It didn't. Now all I had to do was turn the ignition over and not have the engine go kaboom. I accepted that I'd led a good life and there wasn't anything that I could do if someone put a bomb in the engine. So, I turned it over.

Naturally, nothing happened. My phone beeped and I jumped out of my skin.

It was from Konrad.

*I know you're angry and I accept that and the responsibility for that anger. I am truly sorry for everything that I've done to you. Know that I never meant to hurt you but I understand that my actions were not the right thing to do. I know what you've said and I will accept that but I just have one question for you. Is there a chance that in the future things will be different?*

I sighed and began my response.

*I'll send you the photos of your most recent visit to Shelly. The ones of you when you went to her place after breaking into my house last night. I didn't say anything earlier because I didn't want to highlight that you'd committed a crime against me. I never said no last night, there were plenty of chances for you to show an interest but instead you left and went to her place. You'd already spent half the day screwing her but you went back to spend the night with her. Let's face it, you were covering all of your options and ensuring that no matter which side won, you'd be there to collect your reward. I think that you need to spend a little time learning how to be an Alpha rather than trying to subdue a conquest. Just so that you know, you are never going to subdue me. To answer your question Konrad, I don't know.*

I stared at the screen while wondering if it was wise to say that I didn't know. He'd see it as a possibility that sometime in the future, he could take another crack at what we had. I didn't want to merge clans, I didn't want to hand over my leadership, I didn't want to become the little woman to a man that didn't know how to be monogamous to his mate. In those three words, I'd signalled that he might have a chance in the future.

The problem was that I still liked Konrad. Would I betray everything that I wanted for myself just to have him in my bed?

When he didn't respond, I dumped my phone into the console and left the car park.

Going home didn't interest me at the moment, so I did something that I haven't done in a long time. I went to the cemetery.

It was a mistake. I realised it the moment that I saw the fresh dirt. Sitting on the stone surround of my mother's grave, I leaned my elbows on my legs, sobbing as my head fell into my hands.

Even though he wasn't here anymore, I could still hear my father chiding me to stop blubbering like a baby. It was done. Nothing could change what has happened. I had to accept it and move on.

So, I took a deep breath, wiped away the tears. Moving on seemed a tad ridiculous, given how recent their deaths were but each day would get me closer to something better.

"They're gone. I banished all of them. I told Konrad to leave and not return."

Would he listen or would this mess continue tomorrow? Only time would tell but I hoped that Konrad accepted that he'd blown it.

"If I missed anything then you need to figure out how to tell me."

Guaranteed that if anything was going to happen, it would be Stephen that would do it. I could see him taking the form of a ghost, waiting for me to pass by and then jump out with a loud boo to scare me. He was a jerk like that.

Still, he made me smile which made losing him so much worse.

I stood, wiping the last of the tears.

"Okay, so it will probably be a while before I return. You know that I don't like this place."

Dad always said that I should stop by and see my mother occasionally but I didn't like facing the reality that she was gone and this place forced it on me. I don't think he was bothered if I came here or not. A part of me believed that he thought it would be good for me but I only saw the reminder of the truth.

Dad was a man of habit. He'd visit my mother every Sunday morning.

Maybe I could take over that habit.