Chapter 3

Shelly wanted to celebrate. Not just because I was the Alpha but because I'd stuck it to the man, apparently. A boon for women across the world, or at least within the West River pack. I tried to point out that I didn't feel like doing anything, but Shelly insisted. Her reason was simple. I would wallow in sadness for years if I had my way. She was right, and it's the only reason that I'd agreed.

We were at the Jade Palace, a club that was one of our regular hangouts. This was a club that everyone enjoyed which ensured it was always at capacity. The carefree mood always eased its way through the crowd. With the lights down to a dull blue, the masses danced their night away.

Shelly would wander off searching for mister right, never finding the rare creature. I'd be somewhere close by, also searching for someone. Previously I was not interested in something permanent, but now I had to rethink that.

After the meeting where I claimed the role of alpha before walking out, the leaders followed me. They accepted my claim but warned that I was not getting out of it lightly. I had to prove my value. I had to make good on what I'd stated. If we had another pack hanging around, then I had to step up and be the leader that the pack needed. Also, I needed to find a mate and start breeding.

The elders would take on the role of beta until I had a child that was old enough to take the placement. That meant that whenever I entered into a meeting, I'd have those jokers hanging around.

Shelly approached with two daiquiris, jiggling as she danced up the three steps to the raised section we were seated in. Beyond the dark area lit up with coloured lights that flashed through the blue haze were the bar and the restrooms. It was a long journey but one that I'd have to make soon.

"There are a lot of hot guys here tonight," Shelly yelled.

Her eyes widened with a wicked smile. The drinks were on the table, and she leaned in, revealing way too much cleavage.

"A lot."

"You say that most nights."

"Yeah, but tonight there's a lot more than usual. Kinda strange."

With a shrug of indifference, Shelly picked up her drink. It won't be long before we've both upended these drinks. Then we'd move out to the dance floor, search for a friend to get cosy with and dance for a little while.

Was it appropriate, though? I wasn't sure. Dad wouldn't care, and Stephen would probably kick my backside down the stairs until I was on the dance floor. They wouldn't want me to be sad. Not just for my own mental health but because I was now a leader. I had to lift my head up from the view of the ground. I had to walk tall and proud to show the wolves in my pack that I was more than an Omega.

I had to find my happy place, even if it was just for show. To get through the issues lingering on the horizon, I needed to be seen as forceful and focused. Sad and morose would be left for when I was alone at home.

The problem was the last time I got cosy with a stranger, I ended up screwing the alpha of a rival pack. It was not my finest moment. It was an issue because it still lingered in my mind. It was so strong that it could send a flutter of ecstasy through me just thinking about it.

"How are you going to prove your value to them?"

I shrugged, unable to answer. It was true that I had no idea how I'd do that.

Making solid choices that led the pack in the right direction was a good way, but at the moment, nothing needed to be decided upon. It was guaranteed that it would happen soon, though. Konrad hadn't said a word about it, but I knew he had issued a challenge today. He was going to take me down and seize my role as alpha.

"Make good choices, I guess."

"Just think, what would dad do? You'll be fine. I believe in you."

"Well, you're the only one who does."

Upending the drink, I slid over the vinyl seat and wobbled as I stood. I should not have worn pumps tonight. As much as I adored them, they were not a good idea when the night would only take one path.

"Going to the restroom."

Raising her glass, Shelly smiled in acknowledgement.

Gripping the rails, I slowly eased myself down the stairs. With a sigh of relief, I let go and began the journey across the dance floor.

Hearing hoots, I turned and saw a group of men in the corner. They'd pushed a few tables together and covered them with a lot of empty glasses. All of them were grinning and hooting at me. Yelling out to come over and party with them, calling me all sorts of endearing names.

All except one.

It felt like my heart thudded one last time before dropping into my stomach. Konrad stared at me with a slight grin curled into the corner of those stunning lips.

He didn't join them. Not a holler or a catcall. Just a dirty grin and a heated stare. The very same look that got me into this giant steaming pile in the first place.

Turning before it became awkward, I continued to the bathroom.

"This is not happening," I muttered. "Why is he here?"

I had to warn Shelly. While I was seated, I pulled out my phone and messaged her. She sent me an eye roll emoji.

Hearing the door open, I thought nothing of it until the lone footsteps stopped in front of the door.

"You never told me your name."

I winced. It was not surprising that Konrad had followed me into the bathroom.

"Or should I just call you Alpha?"

Rolling my eyes, I fixed myself up and pressed the button. Konrad seemed amused when I emerged from the cubicle.

Upon seeing me, Konrad's chest lifted as his back straightened. His eyes remained on me, never venturing anywhere else.

"You're in the female bathroom. Clearly, you don't understand what boundaries are."

"I am a wolf that gets what he wants."

Dumping my clutch on the counter, I looked at him while I washed my hands. Konrad leaned on the panel between the stalls, watching me with amusement on his face.

"Megan Nolan, the newly appointed alpha of the West River clan. That is how you should have responded to me today."

I turned, gritting my teeth as I glared at Konrad. My heart raced as the pounding in my ears became deafening.

"It was a funeral, you jackass. I just said goodbye to my father and my brother, and you think it's appropriate to waltz into another pack's territory with your expectations? Get over yourself."

The arid wasteland in my mouth wasn't enough to stop me from giving Konrad an earful.

Grabbing a couple of paper towels, I dried my hands and hoped he would get the hint. Yes, I enjoyed our one and only time together, and yes, I'd give anything for more, but this was something that could not happen.

Konrad lifted from the panel, slowly walking over to me. He took the sodden paper and dumped it into the trash before returning to me.

As his fingers slid over my forearm, I could feel the shiver of ecstasy rush through me.

"When I saw you, I could not believe my eyes. It was her, the girl from the festival. The woman who gave me the most amazing sex that I've ever had."

Good to hear I'm not alone in that thought. It was a shame, really.

"But then I put two and two together."

His hand moved to my hip, sliding over the figure-hugging dress. Finding the hem, Konrad began pushing it up my thigh.

"I have a problem, Megan. I am a wolf that gets what he wants, and I want the newly appointed alpha of the rival pack."

His palm pressed to my thigh. The warmth was incredible against my skin but not nearly as good as the feeling of him pushing the dress higher.

"I want more amazing sex from her. I want her."