Chapter 13

I could only assume that everyone believed that the meeting was about Konrad's threats. They looked a little shocked when they walked into the pack house and saw that I'd opened the area up by pushing back the room dividers. Chairs were placed in neat rows, as was the norm for a full pack meeting. There was also a row of chairs along the wall for the elders.

Gus walked over, scanning the set up before turning his attention to me.

"Got a presentation for us, Megan?"

"I do, Gus."

"This isn't about the war, is it?"

"What makes you think that?"

"Because your father was my best friend and he trusted me. He also confided in me so I know that he wasn't happy with certain aspects of this pack. I hope that you have the proof before you point your finger."

The door opened, Gus glanced for a moment and then turned back.

"And I wish you all the luck in the world. Someone needs to pay for these crimes."

With that, he walked over to the row of seats against the wall and sat down. He didn't remain that way for long. Standing abruptly when the door opened again, Gus glared as Konrad walked into the building.

"Megan?"

"It's okay, Gus. I asked Konrad to come here."

He stalked over to me, angry and ready to dole out his fatherly love.

"Have you gone mad?"

"Did you trust my father?"

His eyes narrowed instantly.

"Of course I trusted your father. What kind of question is that?"

"Because most of what I have here is his research. It includes Konrad so I need you to show trust in my father and in me."

Gus was taken aback. The anger disappeared quickly and with a nod, he relented.

"Alright Megan. You have my trust. You are my Alpha and I believe in you. But I gotta know. What's with that Egyptian doll?"

I turned to look at Anubis. He was sitting on the table as a visual reminder of the strength that I had and the belief that Stephen had in me.

"A reminder of Stephen and it's a statue, not a doll. That's Anubis."

I leaned in with a whisper.

"The god of the dead."

"Is that where the meeting will lead?"

I shrugged and turned to Konrad.

"I'd suggest that you sit in that chair over there."

He'd come alone which I thought was a little odd. When I messaged him, I stated that he could bring another person if he felt like he needed protection or perhaps a witness.

"No friends?"

"They're on the bus." he muttered. "Do I get to know what's going on?"

"Nope. Sit your dumb ass down before I make you stand in the corner."

He paused for a moment and then smirked.

"Can we have the keys and tyres back?"

"Maybe later if you're a good boy. Is he in trouble?"

"No but you should be. I only put him there to ensure that you were safe."

Konrad walked off to his lonely posting on the other side of the room. I turned to my set up and noticed that Gus had been watching us for the entire time. He looked a little confused. I was talking to the enemy as if we were friends.