xxvii: we wish you a merry christmas

Start from the beginning

"Uh," Drew mumbled, "What did I do?"

Laura looked at him, her eyes puzzled. "You don't remember?"

Drew shook his head. "Not at all."

"Oh." She blew out a breath. "Well, it sounds dumb, but you offered me a cookie."

Drew's head tilted. "The peanut butter chocolate chip ones."

"Yep."

"What else happened?" Amanda asked. "Drew's been useless."

Laura started saying something, but Drew didn't hear her. There was something lurking in the hazy void of his mind. The peanut butter chocolate chip cookies... Laura. She was...singing? No. She was...crying.

A sudden pang of pain made Drew clap a hand to his head. Amanda and Laura didn't seem to notice. He closed his eyes.

He had offered Laura a cookie. There was music playing. Where was it coming from? Out of the depths of his mind swam something that felt, finally, tangible. A pair of blue eyes, staring right into his own.

Danny.

Memories flooded into Drew's empty head as if they had burst from a dam, drowning him in a sea of lights and colors and music. He had done something very, very bad. He had messed up big time, and things would never be the same.

Drew clapped a hand to his mouth, turned around, and dashed back into the house, leaving Amanda to call after him. He couldn't hear what she was saying; all he could hear were his words from the night before, drunkenly revealing the only thing he could never have told Danny.

Drew dove headfirst into the living room couch, landing with a crash and stuffing his head between the cushions. He let out a muffled scream, holding a pillow over his face. He could never show his face in school ever again. He could never talk to Danny again. How could he have been so stupid? Drew cursed himself.

From behind him, Drew heard a long-suffering sigh. "What is it?" Amanda asked.

Drew rolled over, still clinging to the pillow. "I remember," he said through it.

"Excuse me?" Amanda crossed her arms.

Drew sat up and chucked the pillow at her. "I said, I remember!" he cried.

Amanda easily ducked the pillow. "Cool! So what?"

He stared at her, acutely feeling the pounding pain in his head. "Amanda, I...I did something really dumb."

"Okay," she sighed, coming over and flopping down on the couch next to him. "Talk to me."

Drew looked tremulously at her. If he told Amanda, that meant this was real. Maybe his brain had just dreamed it all up, and he was misremembering the events. That was a possibility. But, if it was real after all, Drew couldn't do this on his own.

"I told Danny I like him," he said all at once.

Amanda's eyes popped open like corn kernels. "What?!"

"I know," he groaned, burying his face in the pillow once again.

Amanda pulled him back up. "Are you serious?"

"I think," Drew mumbled, painfully aware of how red he was.

"Oh boy." She shook her head. "You've really done it now."

"So what do I do?" Drew begged, shaking her arm. "I can't go outside ever again! People are going to know!"

Amanda bit her lip. "Are you sure he knows?"