I rested the mask onto the vanity before me and watched Verum concentrate from the mirror. "I've been hearing that hundreds of men have arrived already." My hands nervously wrung together. "Why is it so important that I marry, Verum? Why do I feel like I'm being forced to make a decision? There cannot be love if there is force present."

Verum's fingers were gentle as she continued to increase the number of pins into my hair that was falling around my shoulders and past my waist. "Your Majesty, you are unfortunately correct. Forcing unrequited love upon another is unacceptable and immoral. Of course, the gala is still a celebration of your 24th birthday, but it also represents the taking of your choice. You might be choosing a man tonight, but your heart, most likely, will not be in the decision itself."

Tears burned my eyes as Verum spoke, reminding me where I had left my heart yesterday. Or with whom.

I rapidly blinked my eyes to dispel the tears before my makeup could be irreparable and ruined. Verum had worked tirelessly for the majority of the day to prepare me for the gala. My hair and makeup, including ceremonial markings of Interitus royalty, had been flawlessly executed. I could hardly recognize myself in the mirror.

"Did Poe and BB-8 receive their attire for the gala?" I inquired, admiring Verum's skills as she placed soft curls beside my flushed cheeks. Just knowing that Poe would be attending the gala gave me the only reason that I desired to attend.

"Yes, Your Majesty." She smiled at me in the reflection. "Poe needed assistance with his tie and I personally assisted BB with his bowtie. I must admit, although they are foreigners to Interitus, they certainly look the part for tonight." Verum rested her hand on my bare shoulder. "Forgive me if I'm overstepping, Your Highness, but... I have never seen you more happy than when he arrived."

I bit my lip and dropped my head, remembering that tonight would be Poe and I's last evening together. "I-I'm very happy when I'm with him, but... Happiness is sacrificed when you have a responsibility to fulfill." I whispered, returning my glance to the mirror. "He's leaving tonight. My mother requested a different pilot be traded for him." I sniffed, fighting the tears before they could fall. "My heart is...mourning already, even before he has departed, Verum. I don't think I'll ever be the same once he is gone."

"I'm so sorry, Your Highness, but we aren't supposed to be the same once we love someone. To love someone means to adhere to them, to become one in unity." Verum ran her knuckles down my cheek as she sighed. "When they leave, they will ultimately take a piece of you with them wherever they might go."

Love?

Did I love Poe?

A knock on the door to my quarters interrupted my thoughts. Verum immediately departed from me and approached the door, swiftly opening it.

"Hello, Queen Venustas." Verum greeted, opening the door further and allowing my mother into my room. I studied her from my mirror as she entered. She was wearing a midnight blue ball gown, adorned with golden accents and a pure golden crown to match. Just like me, her makeup and markings of royalty were beautiful to behold. She was ethereal, celestial, even.

"Oh, my..." My mother whispered, noticing my sitting form on the cushion. "Stand up, my darling, let me look at you." I obeyed and struggled to stand, heaving my heavy dress upwards to I could elevate myself.

I turned towards my mother, fanning out my one-of-a-kind ball gown that I was more than appreciative for. Layers of violet and cobalt tulle rested under a final layer of a sparkling black layer of thin material. Delicate lace adorned my upper half, accentuating my full chest, while my loose tulle sleeves laid softly around the upper portion of my bare arms.