Gratias Tibi

[A/N: Hello my lovely readers! Here is the next update for you all! My weekend has been completely busy, but I hope that these chapters have been to your satisfaction and that you've been picking up some crucial hints. I love you all and hope you enjoy this next one! -K🖤]

[🌌 This chapter is long and contains angst.🌌]
***
The sacred shadow of night had fallen swiftly just as I had begged and hoped for, knowing that I would soon be reunited with Poe. The two celestial moons reigned supreme in the sky after the larger sun had set several hours earlier. From my window, I could just faintly see the outline of the closest planet, Aergia. The rings of the of celestial body were highlighted by the moon's superior luminosity and created an unbelievable canvas across the heavens of Interitus.

Instead of preparing myself to paint for the evening, as was my normal routine, I was hurriedly searching through my wardrobe. I had confided to Verum that I could change into my nightclothes by myself before she had left hours before. However, I was still in my lavender dress and slippers, and I certainly wouldn't be sleeping anytime soon.

I smiled once my hand felt the velvet material of my hooded cloak that had been tucked away into the farthest portion of my wardrobe. There was no particular reason why a Princess should be hidden, especially on a planet like Interitus, meaning my obsidian cloak hadn't been used for a significant amount of time.

But tonight was a special occasion.

I returned my wardrobe door to its closed position, and as quietly as I could. With a hurried swipe, I wrapped the cloak around my shoulders and fasted the ribbon across my collarbone.

With quiet huffs, I chewed on my bottom lip nervously, considering the consequences of my rebellious actions. But I also considered the consequences of what would happen if I didn't rebel at all.

To prevent any suspicions of my disappearance, I walked to my desk and removed my paintbrushes to simulate how it would normally look when I was painting. I strategically placed the pots of paints and brushes around the top of the desk. If someone were to walk in, perhaps they would assume I was simply taking a break.

My movements slowed to a halt as I realized something was amiss.

The letter I had been writing in reply to the Prince wasn't where I left it.

I frantically searched my desk and the floor surrounding it. I was certain that I didn't remove the letter as I didn't finish it. Perhaps I had thrown it away after realizing that I couldn't continue with it. With not a lot of time to waste worrying about nonsensical matters, I backed away from my desk and donned my hood as I approached the door.

I inhaled deeply, turning the door handle and quietly slipping into the corridor. With calculated movements, I closed the door behind me and lightly treaded over the lengthy rug, silently rushing towards the staircase.

Midnight was the designated shift change for the Knights, meaning that the castle would be free from pacing guards as they swapped positions and debriefed each other on the events of the day in their chambers on the other end of the castle itself.

My hand trailed the railing of the staircase, steadying myself as I bounded down the stairs and tried to stay focused on not being caught. My eyes and ears were constantly alert to any figures in the darkness of the silent castle.

After reaching the bottom of the stairs, I tiptoed in the direction of one of the many back entrances that I familiarly used throughout the day. I held my breath as I swung one of the doors open and slipped outside into the chilly air of the moonlit night.

My head was constantly swiveling around me, checking over each of my shoulders, and confirming that I wasn't being followed from the castle. Of course, over the years that I had resided there, I had never attempted to sneak out of the castle before. The Knights believed that I would never be reckless or stubborn enough to try either.