Chapter 28

Jennie

We left in our separate cars but arrived in the parking lot of the stadium at the same time. Lisa couldn't resist flashing me a smile and holding the doors open for me even though we walked several feet apart. We headed straight for the conference room, entering at the same time. Teddy was already there, his briefcase opened and papers stacked neatly in front of him. He stood when we entered, giving me a hug before shaking Lisa's hand. We took our seats across from him.

"Thank you, Teddy," I started the meeting since I had been the one to facilitate it. "For meeting with us."

"Of course," Teddy said with a smile in my direction before he turned to Lisa. "Now, Ms. Manoban, I'm sure you know how lucky you are to have someone like Miss Kim on your side. You may be aware that I typically only represent basketball players."

"I am aware," Lisa said slowly, still trying to get a feel for this proposed agent. "So, if you don't mind my asking, why are you considering making an exception?"

"Jennie's a good friend," Teddy said with a smile. "An old friend. And you're not just anybody, Ms. Manoban. You're an upstart young quarterback with a bright career ahead of you if the media is to be believed. Are they?" Teddy raised a brow.

"What do you mean?" Lisa asked, confused.

"Well, when I choose to represent someone, I put my all into their representation. But I need to know what I'm representing. I don't want to be caught off guard by any reports that one of my clients is doing something... ill-advised. You're a secretive person, Ms. Manoban. I don't ask that you tell me those secrets. Only that you assure me that none of them are dangerous to your health or your potential as an NFL quarterback."

Lisa glanced my way and I looked down at the desk as quickly as I could, hoping Teddy hadn't noticed the brief lapse in judgement.

"They aren't. The reporters have always been more interested in my love life than any of my previous girlfriends."

Teddy chuckled at the joke. "Very well, then," he said. "Now that that's out of the way, feel free to ask me anything you wish, Ms. Manoban. You should conduct this like an interview. I will be working for you, after all."

Lisa considered the offer for a moment before she spoke, "Who's the greatest basketball player of all time?"

Teddy smiled, leaning back casually in his chair. "Michael Jordan," he answered. "Obviously."

"Alright," Lisa said, looking over to me. "I'll work with him."

"Really?" I asked, stunned by the quick decision after just one question. Teddy laughed and Lisa nodded.

"In that case, we should really get started on this paperwork," Teddy said, pushing the large pile of papers on his desk toward Lisa. "Jennie, you're welcome to stay as Ms. Manoban's representation if you would like."

"Thank you," I told him, standing up. "But I should be getting to my office. Jimin's probably calling highway patrol already."

He nodded and turned back to Lisa immediately, muttering over some of the more prominent terms of the contract as I made my way to the door and wrenched it open.

I entered my office to find a very relieved Jimin. "There you are!" he exclaimed as I approached the front desk. "I was about to send a search and rescue party out for you." I smiled, rolling my eyes at the expected dramatics.

"I've been here all morning," I told him. "In the conference room. I'm going to need you to update Lisa Manoban's file."

He raised a brow.

"She's got a new agent," I told him and he practically beamed with relief. "Teddy Park."

Jimin's mouth popped open in surprise.

"The Teddy Park that only represents basketball players?" he asked, stunned.

"Not anymore," I answered with a wink as I opened my office door and headed inside.

"I don't know how you did it," Jimin told me, leaning against my door to peer in at me. "But you, Jennie Kim, are a goddess. My saviour."

"That's enough, Jimin. You know I'm not in charge of the Christmas bonuses." He chuckled and went back to his desk to update the quarterback's file as requested. I tapped my computer on and logged in, ready for a long day of hard work and, a few hours into the day, I found that it did not disappoint. I had just hung up the phone with ESPN when there was a knock on my door.