Chapter 23

Jennie

I was pulling my cell phone from my pocket before I even fully considered the entirety of my plan. It rang only twice before Teddy answered. "Jennie! How's my favourite badass lawyer turned up and coming NFL executive?" Teddy's cheery voice called out from the other end and I smiled as I leaned back in my seat.

"Teddy, it's been a while. Still the most influential sports agent in California?"

"You flatter me."

"Only when I want something."

"Ah, I should have known. Speak your wish, sweetheart. I just might grant it."

"I know you've got your hands full with some big-name athletes and I know that you typically only do NBA players exclusively but..."

"Spit it out, honey."

"How would you feel about spreading your reach to the NFL market?"

There was a pause on the other end before he asked, "Who needs me?"

"Lisa Manoban."

Another pause.

"I don't know, Jennie," he finally answered with some hesitancy. "I heard she fired her last agent out of the blue and she's on the outs with her PR manager-"

"That was my fault."

Another pause, this time I was sure it was more from shock than anything else.

"You?" He asked after a moment. "How was it your fault?"

"It's a long story. I'd be happy to tell you when you agree to meet with us."

"Jennie-"

"You owe me, Teddy. I don't usually do work in criminal court but I defended one of your clients just last year, remember?"

"Of course I do. And you're cashing in this favour? For Lisa Manoban?"

I bit my lip. What was that in his tone? Suspicion? "I need my assistant's energy focused on much more important tasks than fielding phone calls from GQ magazine," I lied, hoping it was convincing enough. It must have been because Teddy started laughing on the other end of the line.

"Alright," he said finally. "I'll meet with Manoban. But you're coming with. I haven't seen you since the trial and you're not getting out of reconnecting that easily."

"Excellent. Thank you so much, Teddy. You're a life saver."

"Yeah. Maybe someday we can stop trading favours and just be normal friends like regular people, yeah?"

I laughed, "I'd like that." With that, we said our goodbyes and hung up and I spent the rest of the afternoon hard at work feeling like I'd accomplished at least one important task today. Though, as I waved goodbye to Jimin for the evening and made my way to my car, it dawned on me that I hadn't told Lisa about her potential new agent. Also, there was the fact that I wasn't entirely within my rights to make the call and request I'd made. Though it wasn't like I forged a contract between them. I'd simply arranged a meeting. Still, I needed to tell her as soon as possible. So I pulled my phone from my bag as I tossed it into the passenger's seat and pulled out of the parking lot. Lisa answered a few seconds later.

"Kim, I think of you and you call. Are you reading my mind?" She asked from the other end in greeting and I couldn't help the warmth that spread to my cheeks or the smile that split my lips at the sound of her voice. It had been less than twelve hours since I'd awoken next to her in my bed but it seemed like an eternity apart already.

"You were thinking of me?" I asked before I could help it and then said a silent curse for how much I sounded like an obsessive pre-pubescent.

"Always. Would you like to know what I was thinking?"