chapter 1

Vanessa's POV

today was the day I'm going to college. I never would have thought Vanessa Hudson would be going to college much less NYU. my parents busted their asses for me to be able to attend college. i'm beyond grateful to be able to get an education. I went to elementary school then in middle school my mama home schooled me due to bullying.

I grew up in a small town in New jersey. My whole childhood I was either outside playing with my brothers or I was helping my mama cook super. We weren't poor, we just didn't live in those big fancy houses. We lived in a little country house in the middle of nowhere.

I was the youngest of three brothers, Bryan, Luke and Carlos. They protected me no matter what. growing up i always wanted to go riding with them or help them fish with papa. I was never the girl who liked pink and glitter.

I remember I had this little doll my mama got me at the market one day. Since that day that same doll has never left my side. Her name was Betsy and I loved her like a child.

My mama's name was Dolly and my papa's name was John. I remember my mama telling me how they met, apparently he was the jock of the high school and a rock boy, she was just simply his tutor. My papa started to like her so they dated and when they got to college papa asked her to marry her.

my mama became with child shortly after with Luke hes the oldest a year later Bryan then Carlos then me. Carlos was only 2 years older than me so we got along better than the others.

Anyways let's talk about me for a minute. My name is Vanessa i'm 19 years old. i love country music. as soon as i could walk i was on the farm with my papa. we have a little farm about a mile away from the house. we have 3 cows, 2 goats and chickens. my goat is Macy shes only 2 and i'm sad i have to go from seeing her every day to only maybe once or twice a year.  I also have a horse named Marty. I've had him since he was a pony. the only friend i have that's human is madelyn she's the daughter of my papas friend so she was always around. ive havent been around a lot of people since elementary school. I've been homeschooled ever since. so I'm beyond nervous but Madelyn will be with me and we are sharing a dorm with two other girls so ill make friends.

my rooster hollers as loud as he can, making my eyes slowly open with the sun shining in my open window. I wipe the drool off my chin groaning as I sit up. walking over to my dresser I grab a hair tie putting my hair into a ponytail. I walk over to my closet putting on a t- shirt and some jeans with my boots and walk down the hallway to the back door.

I walk through the mushy wet grass till I reach my four wheeler hoping to ride to the barn to see my brothers already there. i park getting off walking over to them

"mornin nessa" Bryan greets side hugging me

"mornin guys" i smile walking over to Marty rubbing his chin kissing his neck telling him good morning

i jump onto Marty patting his side riding over to my brothers

"im going on a ride ill be back for breakfast" i smile waving them by

"be safe sis" Carlos yells over to me

i send him a thumbs up

making Marty run we go to a run through the woods to the lake

breathing in a take in the beautiful view in front of my eyes. the lake was always my safe place. i came here whenever i needed time alone or just to be here. i learned to play guitar at this lake. i taught myself in my free time and always put on shows for the bass.

patting Martys neck telling him we should head back we run back through the woods till we reach the barn. my brothers sit there smoking. they always smoked out here in the morning because papa was always helping mama cook breakfast so they wouldn't get caught.