Chapter 9: Dying Fires

Venti POV:

He has a boyfriend.

Aether had a boyfriend and I didn't know how to react to that. What I told him last night, that I was worried about being replaced, was true. I thought that I maybe would get replaced by Xiao. Also, where did I remember that name from..? Aether assured me that I would never get replaced, but I wasn't fully convinced as a small fragment of doubt remained in my mind.

Why do I feel like this? Is this jealousy?

The thought of Aether being with someone else made my stomach ache.

Have they done anything yet? Have they kissed or-

I shook my head. I felt bad for thinking like that.

I looked up to the sky. It was almost time to meet Aether by Mondstadt's gates. I sighed and began walking back to the city.

Aether POV:

I ended up arriving at the gates a bit late. A couple of mitachurls and some annoying hydro samachurls caught me off guard while I was investigating a hilichurl camp.

I ran over the bridge and ignored the fact that I scared off Timmy's birds. Considering the fact that I usually killed his birds for food, maybe he could have been a bit happier. Venti was waiting for me by the side of the road, watching the fluffy dandelions' seeds dance in the wind. He looked so cute as his green eyes followed the flight of the seeds. I shook my head lightly. I had a boyfriend after all. Venti spotted me and waved.

"Hi Aether!" he said with a smile.

I smiled back at him. He walked towards me.

"What were you doing?"

"Something to pass the time, because someone was late!" He chuckled.

"I'm sorry!" I laughed. "The samachurls kept healing the mitachurls! It was a nightmare!"

Venti smiled at me with sparkling eyes.

"So why did you tell me to meet you here?" he asked.

"I wanted to get a chance to say goodbye."

His smile turned into a frown.

"You're leaving again?"

I nodded.

"Well, it's not like I'm gone forever. I'll be back. I just don't know when."

Venti stayed silent.

"Well, I'm going to get Paimon and head back to Liyue. I'll miss you, Venti." I gave him a small smile.

Venti tried to smile back.

"I'll miss you too, Aether."

Back in Liyue, Paimon convinced me to join a contest that Ningguang held. Whoever won would get to ask Ningguang a question.

"Come on, Aether! We need to get information!" Paimon circled me impatiently.

I chuckled and walked down the stairs by Yujing Terrace. A woman with white hair caught my attention. Two men were talking to her and it seemed like they were trying to pressure her into something, judging by their expressions and body language. I walked closer to hear what they were saying.

"Ma'am, wouldn't you want to win this contest? All you need to do is buy some of our information, hehe."

And that is all I needed to hear, thank you. Now, where is the Millelith?