8 | SPILLED ALL OVER HIM |

Start from the beginning

"Right, but it wasn't even my party, go tell Topper and his stupid ass Kook friends to be more careful," I complained.

My parents looked startled by my vocabulary as Topper only sighed, acting as if he was the poor victim of his little sister's insults, once again. "Can you two just stop arguing for a second?" my father sighed.

"It's not my fault she's always being a bitch," Topper mumbled and my parents didn't even point it up since they were tired of it.

I took a last sip of the tea and tied my hair up in a messy ponytail, before we all got up to clear the table and wash the dishes, except for Topper who was too busy fixing his hair. The Pogues and I loved to make fun of my brother for how superficial he was, and if my parents weren't around I would have taken a video of him as he applied tons of gel in his blonde strands.

As we finished our task, I walked over to Topper and smiled at him before resting my head on his shoulder. "Hey Topper?"

"Hey Tessa, but get off me," he responded and I giggled, staying exactly the way I was, even if it bothered him.

"How come are you gonna clean a whole beach when you can't even clean your own room?" I asked, laughing lightly.

He pushed me away from him with both of his hands, annoyed, and I laughed even harder when our parents yelled at him for never being nice to his little sister. Topper and I didn't really get along, but deep inside I knew I could count on him if I needed anything, because not being a good older brother to me would have ruined his reputation to people's eyes, including Sarah's.

(...)

Thornton's house, Outer Banks
July 6th 2020
1:27 pm

After texting John B and coming up with an excuse for not joining them in their new mission which was sneaking into the beach club, where JJ worked, to get internet access, when they literally just could have asked me, I laid on a transat by the pool. I would have given a thousand dollars to anyone who'd erase mine and JJ's memories from the previous night, but as no one could possibly do that, I planned on hiding for the entire summer or longer, since now I actually lived there. I felt awful for not pushing him away when he pressed his lips on mine, but he should have waited for me to get sober before trying anything in the first place.

I put on my swimsuit and jogged downstairs before diving in my large pool without looking around, enjoying to finally be alone without any worry. No gunshots, no screaming, no running, just me myself and the sun. I resurfaced and the first thing I heard were loud applauses and a whistle. I looked at whoever was there and as soon as my eyes adapted from the bright sunlight, I recognised Rafe Cameron's figure staring at me, amused to what I could hear.

"You scared the shit out of me, Rafe," I complained, holding on to the pool's flange.

"Let's make that clear up front," the boy spoke up, his arms now crossed over his chest. "I'm not rescuing you if you drown"

I giggled and swam to the ladder, before climbing up, and making my way to the terrace where he was. His bright eyes trailed up and down my body, analysing it, which disgusted me. His presence felt weird, since I never knew what to think of him. It was almost like one day I wanted him dead or toothless, but the next day I found him pretty hot. "Good thing I don't need you then," I replied, which was ironic but he didn't point it out.

"That's not what you were saying yesterday, were you?" he asked and I rolled eyes.

"Let's pretend yesterday didn't happen okay?" I replied. "What are you doing here?"