1 | Strange Girl

Y/N: "We're done."

???: "What? Are you dumping me right now?"

I sighed, not even sparing a glance at the pitiful woman in front of me. Instead, I shifted my focus outside the window wall of my office, observing the bustling streets of Korea below. 

Y/N: "I am."

The woman, adorned in gaudy jewelry and wrapped up in an expensive dress, trembled in fury. I shook my head. Everything that was on her, I bought. But as I expected, there wasn't even a flicker of passion in my heart for her.

???: "What about everything we've been through? You had dinner with my parents!"

Y/N: "It was all business. Your father is a large investor in my company."

???: "Then I'll talk to him about this!"

Y/N: "Do it. I have enough money to buy you, him, your entire family, and everything you've ever owned and still have some left over. If he pulls out, then it's no skin off my back."

She was left speechless, opening and closing her mouth like some strange humanoid fish as she desperately searched for a retort. Seemingly as there was none, she shook her fist angrily and stormed off with a huff, slamming the office door behind her. At least give back what I bought you.

I sighed at the encounter. That made the third woman this month that I've broken up with. Every time, I've showered them in priceless gifts, and every time, I've felt no closer to feeling anything. Even as they laid on my bed, coaxing me into their embrace, there wasn't even a cinder of passion. Everything felt so...superficial.

Every 'I love you' just for my wallet. Every touch just for the glamour. Every smile, hidden with an ulterior motive. I hated it all. I pushed myself off my chair and stood in front of a bookshelf, taking into my hands a small, unassuming picture frame. It depicted a plain man with a plain woman, holding a plain baby in their plain, loving arms. Nothing about it was luxurious. But instead, there was this radiating purity, a wholehearted affection, that was present within the photograph which I so desperately craved. After all, it was the only reason why I kept trying this stupid thing called love. But every time, I was proven that greed is a much stronger force.

Perhaps I was envious. No, I was definitely envious. I sighed and placed the picture frame back onto the shelf. I did it now, Father. I proved both you and Mother wrong. I had everything in the world now. But could this really be called happiness? When was the last time I saw a genuine smile? Now, every face seemed contorted in conniving schemes. Were you right all this time? 

Even now, his blissful smile behind the picture film seemed taunting, embellishing the very thing that I never could attain.

I peeled my eyes away from the bookshelf and onto the streets below. I was so much higher than every one else, both figuratively and literally.

I watched a man pass by on his bicycle. I have a garage worth of cars that are both more expensive and faster than a mere bike.

I watched a woman buy a cake from the local bakery down the street. I can have the best patissiers from around the world make for me a cake with ingredients imported directly from the tropics. 

How strange it would was, that I was in the position of everyone's dreams, yet I was the one wishing our positions were reversed. I shook my head. This is happiness. It had to be. I withdrew from the window, shedding the suit blazer from my body as I unbuttoned my shirt. Within moments, I found the expensive, name brand garments replaced by an ordinary white shirt, jeans, and a coat that could be acquired from any dollar store.

Although my previous clothes were made with infinitely softer silk, for some strange reason, I found my current attire more comfortable. I took with me my valuables, my phone and wallet and such, and locked my office door behind me. My footsteps resounded throughout the empty hall of the top floor of the building. By now, everyone had already left, no doubt to a simple home for a simple dinner with a simple family.