Leaves in the Wind

After a very cold night, it was yet another bright day at the beautiful city of Layndale.

The white, great dazzling sun was still very low in the horizon, the constant, freezing wind smelled of harsh frost and distant forests, everything was peaceful and the trees swayed a little in the morning wind as the varied, countless birds began to sing happily in the gardens.

Autumn leaves were flying in the wind and falling everywhere, their shades of orange, brown and red created a great contrast against the fluorescent green grass and there she was, a cold, lonely and silent girl that was still just starting to explore her wonderful new home...

Anna Coulthard looked up at the great, unnatural purple sky as she enjoyed the feeling of soft and cold grass below her feet, she was now wearing a wide violet cloak on top of that stylish sleeping dress, the cold wind was surprisingly pleasant and a few large, orange squirrels dashed between the thorny bushes nearby as Anna walked around.

That enormous, violet Moon slowly disappeared beyond a steep snowy mountain so far from Layndale, the colorful stars vanished like a whisper and everything felt exactly as Anna imagined that Heaven would be like...

"Why dad?" Anna whispered to the sky, still looking at the distant Moon and the stars as she enjoyed the cold wind and this wide, peaceful garden all around her- "How could you just let them kill me like that? Anyway, I love it here in Heaven... and still, you betrayed me..."

Anna Felicia sat down by the wooden picnic table not far from the great hemlock tree, the red cobbled street was just as lonely as it had been the day before, the white, gray and orange squirrels vanished as the crows began to caw and fly and Anna just admired the cold beauty of all the Autumnal leaves flying in the wind.

"Alright, it's time!" Anna thought, almost lost in admiration as she stared at this elegant, huge, dark blue and eagle-like bird which had just decided to perch itself on top of a house at the other side of that street- "Quick, before Lockie wakes up!"

It was then when Anna drew a casual gray notebook from a deep pocket of her cloak, which she had found at the library of her new house just a few minutes ago, she placed it on the wooden table and after that, with a dreamy smile in her face and a green pen in her hand, she began to write...

Sweet and dear Lockie

You have been so kind to me here in Heaven, thanks! I loved to see downtown Layndale last night, it's unbelievable, and yeah it was an awkward moment with Kelly at Crystal Claw, yet please don't worry about that, I'll feel much better when my voice comes back.

Do you know other great places to go and visit?

That snowy mountain looks great! You know, back in Earth, my aunt Ellie lived at Switzerland, cause she worked for a pharmaceutical company there, somewhere called... Gradenwald? Well, when we talked on the phone, she said the Alps were lovely, and invited me to go and visit her someday.

Do you think we can go to have snowy fun in the mountains?

Lockie, how did you die? Oh sorry, perhaps it's not the right moment to ask that, please tell me but only when you are ready. I see sadness in you, it's in your eyes, was it a bad death? Mine was terrible, you know, so I am sure that I can help you out!

Please stay with me Lockie, I feel so lonely without Mom and Lachlan.

Sincerely your friend!

Anna Coulthard

The letter was exactly as Anna had wanted it to be, the cool violet ink looked great on bright white paper and it was a very good, positive feeling to be able to express her thoughts and emotions once again, even though it was just writing, instead of her voice.

Anna then detached her personal letter from that notebook, since it was designed for that precisely, she folded it in half with great care and it was at that very moment when the main door of the house was opened and Hemlock Allyngard dashed out looking all dizzy, disoriented and sleepy.

It took Anna Felicia just a few seconds to realize that her new friend was not only hungover, but still badly drunk, anyway Lockie managed to look decent in exactly the same outfit that she had worn the day before and it seemed that she was not too surprised to see that Anna was already enjoying daybreak outside...

"Hi Anna!" Lockie exclaimed in a shaky voice, stinking of wine as she grabbed the table for support with both hands- "We have nice daybreaks here, eh? Enjoy the views! Well, guess what... There was a problem w-where I work, we have an incident with the... the Thing and Shad... I mean Shadyel just made it w-worse, so I kind of need to go and sort it out!"

"Here Lockie, my first letter for you!"

"Oh, a letter? T-thanks! K-keep it for now Anna, alright?" Lockie said, trying to adjust her trench coat so she would at least not look like the total disaster that she was- "I'll read that t-tonight, I promise! Hey, p-please... please don't freak out..."

Anna gasped when Lockie Allyngard just vanished into thin air like she had been a ghost, there was just a soft crystalline sound and that was all, Anna was alone again all of a sudden with nothing to comfort her but the Moon, the stunning sky and the soft whispers of the wind.

"I have to do that too!" Anna whispered, trying to somehow trap the cold air with her hands like Lockie was still there- "We can teleport here in Heaven!"

Anna stayed in her garden for some time, still peaceful and happy, and yet the Moon had vanished already, the sun was getting higher in the sky and that weird eagle thing was starting to look dangerous, so she eventually decided to get back into the house...

The great silvery fridge at her stunning kitchen was all filled with huge orange apples, deep blue celery, purple carrots and green eggs, not to mention weird pop cans, bottled juice and great wine jugs all of curious brands that she had never seen, so Anna just went upstairs instead of trying to prepare some kind of breakfast with those things.

"I have to try something fun today!"

Anna Felicia's personal room was still littered with the cardboard fragments and colorful wrappings that had once contained almost all of her welcoming presents, surely there could be a good use for all of this and then a not so great idea came to appear in her mischievous mind...