Sweet Air

Anna loved the view of her peaceful Feli Lake at almost any day of the year.

The wind that day was just enough to cause a soft rippling effect in the water, the sky was crystal clear and the forest everywhere looked exactly as silent, magical and pristine as the day when she had discovered the lake a few years ago...

Those camping adventures with her parents had been the very best of her life so far, the memories were beautiful and so Anna just stood there admiring the lake for a very long time.

It was getting colder, and then Anna decided to return to her campsite by the Great Oak at last.

The lake was all glassy and lifeless as Anna Felicia turned around, the wind vanished and it was then when Anna discovered that she was not alone after all, since Shadow Allenhayl was there, with her dreamy smile, that weird, heavy trench coat and those cold and dazzling blue eyes...

Anna just stood there in total surprise and fear while Shadow drew that shiny and violet thing from a concealed pocket of her coat, the eerie woman stepped forward and all of a sudden she was already tying the death scarf all around Anna's neck.

The instrument of misery and torment felt so comfortable and soft against her skin, the knot was ready, Anna looked up into Shadow's lifeless eyes and then she came to wake up at last...

Anna Coulthard opened her sleepy blue eyes to discover that she was back in her soft, warm bed at her huge and beautiful new house, just about to start yet another day at Heaven with Lockie, exactly like nothing bad had ever happened to her.

The master bedroom looked all cold and dreamy with just a hint of violet daylight coming in through the vast and great windows, and yet it was exactly the same as before. The polished, expensive wooden floor, those comfy purple carpets, all of those wooden bookshelves with mysterious books waiting to be read, her welcoming presents everywhere and the trunks that she planned to fill to the brim with her wild Layndale shopping.

Just a few wild birds had started to caw and sing outside, her stylish paper wings were still drying by the redbrick fireplace and it seemed like it would be totally freezing out there...

It was her new life, and yet, Shadow was still sharp and crisp somewhere in her mind.

"Calm down" Anna whispered, crying as she even shook a little in her bed, all the time exploring her soft neck with both hands just to make sure that the scarf was not there anymore- "Anna, calm down! That... that Shadow is not here, she cannot be here, I am safe from her, forever..."

However the images, feelings and sounds that she had just experienced in a dream were all sharp and clear, all of them were far too strong to just go away so easily and so Anna was very fast to grab that elegant notebook from her little bedside table.

It was then when a tearful Anna started to write...

Sweet Air

This is my death, I need lights out, let me go. Just shoot me... Just shoot me! I've got a bitter end, please just stab me through my heart... I am hanging from my neck.

Have a look at me, I am right up here, I am flying.

Just shoot me... just shoot me! I've got a bitter end, I think I need some air... I am hanging from my neck, I am hanging from my neck... I am dangling.

There goes my life, so long everyone, I had good times while I walked on Earth.

Wish I could take a gasp of sweet air.

Anna Coulthard

The words had all flowed so natural and easy as Anna tried her best to channel her emotions and her memories right into the paper, she cried at least a few tears for every paragraph written in there and then, all of a sudden, it was finished.

Anna was no expert in poetry, so she could not be sure that this was actually a poem, but it could very well be a poem after all, right?

At least, this thing already made her feel a lot better.

It took some time, but eventually Anna crawled out of her bed and, still quite tearful after having dreamed about Shadow, she walked around the master bedroom for some time just trying to calm down and forget everything about that cold and dreadful dream.

The vast garden outside looked so inviting and peaceful from her window, that would for sure be the very best place for her at the moment and so Anna just ventured downstairs in a hurry. Lockie was there, apparently passed out on one of the orange couches at the living hall with her hand still holding an empty wine bottle, and a curious Anna stared at her for awhile, now worried for the very first time that her new friend had a drinking problem for real.

"What happened to you, Lockie?" Anna whispered, now unlocking the main door with a shaky hand as she tried to keep her dream flashbacks under control- "At least, now you have me! You do not have to be alone, anymore..."

The door was opened, sadly Anna left the key inside and the heavy gate was closed by the soft daybreak wind as she slowly walked outside into the garden.

Anna loved to look up at the colorful stars as she walked around on her fluorescent green grass, the red cobbled street seemed just as peaceful as ever, the orange squirrels dashed for cover somewhere between her light post and the great Hemlock tree and that was everything, just the perfect peace and quiet of yet another Layndale morning.

The wind was freezing, the violet Moon was already hiding behind that great snowy mountain in the distance, there was a sudden, soft crystalline sound somewhere behind Anna and then a low and husky voice came to her all of a sudden...