Chapter 12: Celebration Part 1

Artist unknown for chapter art.

Your arms are numb, pins and needles cause excruciating pain but you do everything in your willpower not to move. Daniela is asleep on top of you with her face buried in your chest, Bela is on your left, and Cassandra on your right. However, the alarm on your clock has other plans, all three of the girls groan in annoyance until Cassandra reaches up and stops the ringing.

You never knew just how needy all of them are until now as they rearrange back against your body, all of them tightening their hold on you. You are responsible to wake the daughters every morning so it wouldn't hurt to sleep in a little longer. When Lady Dimitrescu talks to you that morning you answer carefully, and keep your face neutral, she doesn't bring up her daughters again. While assisting their mother one of the daughters will drag you behind a closed door, or in Cassandra's case, behind a painting to steal kisses.

The morning of the celebration is different, there is energy and excitement in the air for the celebration tonight, even the girls can hardly contain themselves. Flies sputter around their forms, unable to remain solid for more than a few minutes. You go to the bathroom to freshen up for the day but when you come out the girls are gone, and replaced with an outfit wrapped in plastic with a large white box next to it. There's a note on the top with familiar swirly hand writing on it.

Wear this tonight for the celebration. No peeking until then. – love B, C, and D.

You smile at the note, put it in your nightstand and set the box inside the closet for safe keeping. The outfit in plastic is your new uniform; you strip off the clothes from last night, and carefully put it on. The black pants fit on you perfectly, snug around the thighs and slightly loose around your calves, suspenders are included too. The clips are gold and the stretchy material the same shade of black as the pants with a golden stripe down the middle. They hang loosely against your legs as you button up the white, collared shirt all the way to the top. The neck doesn't choke you like your old uniform, the sleeves are crisp and reach your wrists; your old one was too short in the arms and often got stuck on your forearms. You pull the suspenders over your shoulders, then button the vest on top, and admire how it curves over your breasts, rather than squish them.

The final touch is a blood-red bowtie, you haven't worn a bow tie before and it takes longer than you wish to admit to figure out how to tie it. You notice no jacket present, and as you run your hands over the vest, you slip your fingers into the pocket and feel a piece of paper in it. Using the lantern in your room, you hold the note up to read it better. The handwriting is neat with large, looped letters but not cursive like how the girls write.

Here's a uniform to get you through until I finish the others, I also have some casual wear for you as well. My sister requested that the material be 'tear proof,' which means you'll need specific cleaning instructions. You'll find them on the back of this note. - Donna

Underneath those words is sloppy handwriting, similar looking to that of a small child.

Thank you for playing with me! I can't wait to see you again! - Angie

You laugh at the splots of ink and wrinkles on the bottom of the note where Angie had written. After you turn the paper over, you scan over the instructions before tucking the note with the other. As the drawer closes Lady Dimitrescu calls your name, it sounds close meaning she must be in the Opera Hall. You glance at the time, seeing it's a quarter past breakfast, and that lights a fire under your feet. You sprint to the sound of Lady Dimitrescu's voice, only slowing when you are within eyesight of her, you fix your new uniform and steady your breathing.

The lady stands in the middle by the piano, maids and other workers surround her as she gives them orders. All of them run off in a hurry, none of them looking at you or the lady as they leave. The lady turns to you as you approach, you respond by bowing deeply to her.