Chapter 1

Nearly 5 Years Later

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. The chant I've had in my head since I woke up this morning isn't as effective as it was before. I gripped my books tighter against my chest before inhaling and knocking on the closed classroom door. I felt my stomach twist. The breakfast mom forced me to eat this morning wasn't settling very well.

The door opened, and the teacher towered over me in the doorway. I looked up at him and tried to swallow down the nervous bile in my throat.

"Can I help you, young lady?" He raised an eyebrow at me from behind his thin glasses. I cleared my throat and awkwardly shifted on my feet.

"I'm the new student. The lady at the front office said you were expecting me." Both his eyebrows raised, and ushered me inside the room. I followed after him making sure to keep my face from the view of the other kids. I'm not ready to face all of the new people yet. They didn't seem to pay much attention to me anyways.

"What is your name?" He bent over his desk and started typing on his computer.

"Nalla Petruva." I ignored the sudden stop in chatter.

"Well Nalla, I would like to see your schedule," He straitened up and adjusted his glasses. "This is a tenth grade class and your age and birthday do not match up with the deadline." I felt my cheeks heat up, and handed him my schedule.

"I assure you sir, I am in the right room. According to the California Standardized Public school criteria I am supposed to be in ninth grade, but I have spent the last five years in a foreign private school, and my test scores have set me in tenth grade classes." The red in my cheeks darkened slightly when I realized how thick my accent has gotten in the last five years. The inevitable result of speaking almost nothing but Portuguese since I was ten years old.

"I see," he nodded. "Very well. Introduce yourself, and where you are from. I am Mr. Stellar, and will be your literature teacher for the rest of the year. You can just sit in one of the empty desks. There is no assigned seating until you all annoy me into doing so." I nod and turn to towards the class. All of the eyes on me is intimidating. I train my eyes to the back wall as I speak.

"My name is Nalla Petruva, and I am originally from Mirror Lakes, but I have spent the last five years or so in Rio de Janeiro. I moved back here this past week."

"So you can speak a foreign language?" I brought my eyes to the guy that asked the question. He was attractive, but his gaze made me uncomfortable. He was looking me up and down.

"I...um...I can speak three languages. English, Portuguese, and a little French." He whistled and winked at me.

"That's kind of hot." My cheeks flamed up even more at his smirk.

"Okay Drew, leave the poor girl alone. Nalla, you may take your seat now." I nodded thankfully, and set my eyes on a desk before making my way to it. I ignored the gazes of my classmates and sat down.

"Okay class, open your notebooks and copy down the journal topic for your homework. Once you have done that I will leave you to free time. I expect you to be working on something literature related. Chapters one through seven of Night should be read by Friday. You may work on your journal entry or read while in class. Keep your voices down or I will call for silent study hall." Mr. Stellar set a copy of Night on my desk and went back to his station. I opened my spiral notebook and copied down the topic of tonight's assignment before getting started on my reading.

"Pssst...Hey, new girl." I glanced up from my book to see the girl in front of me had turned her body to face me.

"Hello." I gave her a hesitant smile.