Long Live the King

The soldiers of the Royal Army were not expecting it. The humans had retreated, how could they have? Sans woke up to war cries, to the orange glow of a fire, to the town being attacked by the enemy. Sans didn't have time to put his armor back on or grab his sword. He was in a panic, desperate to find out what happened, what went wrong. He ran out of his house virtually defenseless. Humans and monsters were dying left and right, the battle was now once again in the place he called home for four years. The humans must've feigned their retreat to get the monsters to drop their guard. It worked like a charm. Sans narrowed his sockets and summoned his pack once more. It wasn't going to go the same way as it had back then. He was stronger now. Sans turned a soul blue and threw them while summoning bones to pierce through flesh. He would provide backup for whoever needed it and fight until he couldn't move. Sans was going to protect everyone that he could with everything he had.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Wingdings and Grillby were discussing Sans with Gerson when the attack happened. "Grillby! Sans is still unconscious!" Grillby grabbed the hilt of his blade while Wingdings summoned his own Blaster's, he had only seven to his arsenal but that was because he spent most of his life with monsters and didn't see the point of having many, and sent them out to keep an eye out for Sans if he did wake during this. "I'll rally as many soldiers as I can, good luck you two!" Gerson grabbed his hammer, ready to have a smashing time. With that, Wingdings and Grillby made their way to Sans place, taking down whoever stood in their way as they did so. Sans was still Wingding's responsibility and he wasn't about to lose someone else he cared about. Grillby genuinely liked the kid and wanted to protect whatever or whoever his mate wanted to protect. Naturally, that included the young Skeleton. "It's on fire, Grillby!" Sans place was burning, and one of the windows shattered as something, presumably a torch, was thrown inside. Grillby didn't even hesitate to break in, fire couldn't harm him as he searched for Sans. "He wasn't in there, not even dust." Grillby informed Wingdings. Yes, he knew the tongue of the Skeletons, he could understand it, but he couldn't speak it himself. "Let's search elsewhere, Wingdings, we WILL find him."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

One of Wingdings Blasters had found Sans and was sticking close. He was grateful for that, at least he had SOME protection now. He couldn't tell if he was making much difference within the battle, but he was trying his hardest to push them out. "gerson!" Sans directed Gaster's Blaster to fire at the human coming up behind the old tortoise. "Sans! The Captian and your Skeleton friend are searching for you! Let them know you're ok!" The General commanded. "yes sir, i will look for them. any other orders sir?" Gerson's smile widened and his yellow eyes burned in the fires that sprung up all around them. "Give 'em hell, boy." Gerson was angry, really angry, Sans realized. "sir yes sir." He would follow orders and give the humans everything he had as he had been doing. Sans knew Gerson could handle himself as he ran off to help more where he could. He would find Wingdings and Grillby. Sans noticed someone slip into the town hall. After he saved the King.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Grillby panted as he pulled his sword from another human's body. The tides seemed to be turning, the monsters seemed to be winning this battle. There was still no sign of Sans yet though. There was no doubt in Grillby's mind that he was doing what he could to protect who he could. Sans was that sort of person. He had a strong sense of justice. "One of my Blasters is with him!" Wingdings said suddenly. "They were with Gerson, Sans asked of it to make a kill.." Wingdings looked to be focused on something far off. "Something is going down at the town hall, we must get there!" Grillby nodded and followed his mate in the direction of the hall. Grillby didn't know this town very well yet, Dings knew more than he, even if it was only a little bit more. Grillby looked around as they ran off. Even if they won this fight, they would have to retreat to the next town. This place was destroyed. Wingdings rounded the corner and down the street, and too a wooden building. It was the only unburned building. So that was the town hall? It looked ominous..

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Sans was frozen for a moment as Relegore pulled a sword out of his abdomen. The humans paled as he removed them like they were nothing, but Sans could see how much damage they had really done. He had been outmatched and was merely putting up a front now.. Sans snapped out of it, launching attacks at the humans. "come at me, bastards!" Two were dead before they even knew what hit them, the rest were quick to pull out guns. Sans sucked in a breath, uncertain if he could even dodge those kinds of weapons, but the Blaster used his head to sheild Sans. Sans jumped over the Blaster's head and went on the offensive, attacking the closest with bones while he shoved the furthest into his group. He grabbed and twisted the hand of the second, making him scream and drop his gun. A third tried to rush him, but he pushed the second into the third then spinning around and slamming a fourths head into the wall. Eventually he put them all down for the same reason. Killing the king.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Relegore's breath was labored as Sans approached him. The king had long since dropped to the floor. "i'm so sorry.." Sans murmured, crouching beside the dying king. Wingdings and Grillby rushed in, but Sans was more focused on this. "Sans... it's not your fault.."
"i shoulda got here sooner, now your son is gonna be without a father.." Relegore rasped a chuckle. "I am old, Sans, I was never going to live forever... could you do me a favor..?" Sans nodded quickly, solemnly. Relegore grabbed his sword, dust already sliding of his arm and shakily held it out to Sans. "Promise me... you'll protect Asgore.... the people need him..... please......" Sans ignored the tears rolling down his face. "i will protect him with my life, i promise." Sans replied as he took the sword from the dusting king. He sat like that long after Relegore was gone, his thoughts and that promise weighing heavily on the small Skeleton.