The Vampire's Pet Chapter 4

4.

He lied to her. She was exhausted, that much was clear. She'd have to be to have broken down like that. He saw strength and stubbornness in her, in how she denied her need for sleep. Because of him, he realized. She was tired, and refused to take the bed. So he lied to her, feigning business to attend to and taking the desk for himself.

Only then did she take the bed and, eventually, fall into an uneasy sleep.

He didn't have business. His Vixen was not the same size or complexion as Vanessa. Also it seemed so very wrong to dress her in what Vanessa had left behind. He wasn't sure he ever wanted to see Vanessa's things at all again. He hadn't been able to bring himself to even enter her room in their suite. He would have to eventually. But for now even the thought filled him with a rage that roused the beast in his blood and that was dangerous indeed.

So instead he guarded her sleep.

Near dawn she finally fell into a deep enough sleep that he moved to the couch and managed to fall asleep himself.

He woke some time later, light streaming through the gauzy shades and his Vixen staring, those eyes large and wide on him.

"I thought vampires burned in the sun," she said aloud at last.

He slowly sat up, righted his t-shirt back down and squinted into the sunlight. "Some do. I'm not one of them."

His Vixen watched him carefully. Strangely he found himself mildly concerned about her thoughts. No. Her judgment.

"What are you thinking, Vixen?"

She considered him carefully. "I'm thinking for this to work there can be no lies between us."

He laughed.

"What are you thinking, my lord?"

"That there is no way I can tell you every truth of my long years."

"Then start one at a time. This ruse of yours? What's in it for me?"

He leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees. "I could offer you your freedom."

She gave him a look and he continued. "But that would be unfair, given the danger this puts you in. I will protect you to the best of my ability. Ferociously, as if you were..." he paused. "With every bit of my being."

"I believe that, actually."

There was that at least.

"I will care for you. I will lavish you with clothes, jewels, everything your heart desires."

She snorted.

"For the rest of your life," he added.

"However long that might be."

He couldn't help smiling. "Then what would you ask of me?"

He was prepared to give her time and space to decide, if that was what it took. But she answered right away.

"I want the man who stole my freedom and made me this," she gestured to the collar, "dead. I'm sure you can arrange that."

Arrange it? He'd gladly tear the man's head from his shoulders himself. "I can give you that."

She kicked off the covers and stood. "Then I can fight with you."

Since her hands were still wrapped he prepared food for her, stealing glances at her as she studied his apartment more closely.

"What do I need to know about vampires," she asked, finally settling at the breakfast bar and toying with a low dish of African violets.

"What do you know already?" The smell of sizzling meat filled the air.