The Vampire's Pet Chapter 2

2.

To her credit the woman did remain still and he didn't have to compel her at all. His new pet barely flinched as Phineas rebroke and healed her fingers. Her foot tapped and her jaw clenched. Tears leaked from the edges of her eyes. But her hands remained still and no sound escaped her lips. Jackson had to look away, anywhere else, other than at the line of her arm, or the long, lean muscles of her leg as they clenched against pain.

Daisy, Phineas's wife, offered him bloodwine, but he refused. While Phineas worked, they spoke, and Jackson carefully listened to their words for clues to who his new pet was.

"I recommend white gold and a ruby inlay," Daisy said. "Her complexion will look best in vibrant shades.

"Silk," Jackson said. "I want her to look and feel like a prize, not a possession."

"Where did you come from?" Phineas asked the pet.

"Southwest of here. From the mountains," his woman answered.

"Beautiful land out there. Werewolf territory too," Phineas said lightly.

"Are you sure you want to draw so much attention to her?" Daisy asked.

No, Jackson wasn't sure. Visions of pale flesh marred by vicious furrors of blood came to mind. Vampire kills could be discreet, neat. But not when it was meant as a message.

"Yes," he answered. "I want others to be unable to look away from her."

"Did you run with a pack?" Phineas asked.

"I was owned by a pack," the woman said.

"How did they treat you?" Phineas asked.

"I ran away. Does that tell you enough?"

"It tells me you must be a very clever woman to escape from werewolves in their own territory."

"I want protection on her too," Jackson said.

"That's the sticker. Given the situation we could protect her from vampires, but that would include you."

"I'll have to deal with that then."

"How did you do it?" Phineas asked. "In case this old man ever needs to evade werewolves."

"Wolves hunt on the ground. So I lived in the trees."

"I don't like this, Jackson," Daisy hissed.

"You think I do? You weren't there. You didn't see..." Jackson's mouth snapped closed.

"It's not right, buying a woman to be fodder," Daisy insisted.

"You know what the shopkeeper said when I spotted her? He called her meat. He sold her to me, expecting me to, I don't know, torture her. Kill her for sure. What I'm doing is far kinder. We both know it. At least she knows what to expect with me."

"Tell her then," Daisy said. "Let her have the choice."

***

After the surgery Phineas demanded the woman eat and Daisy produced some kind of chicken soup and buttered, homemade bread. His pet eyed the bowl suspiciously, but everyone in the room heard her stomach rumble. When had she last eaten, Jackson wondered. Daisy held a spoonful up to his pet.

"Stop being stupid," Jackson snapped. "We have no reason to poison you after spending so much effort and money healing you."

Daisy shot him a look, which he ignored.

"I don't understand why you had me healed," the woman hit back. "I'm useless meat. I won't perform or play nice for you. And you'll never be happy with me. So why waste your money?"