03. curtain call

—

the room nini was escorted to was...huge.

it was a master bedroom with a king sized bed to the left, a vanity to the right and two large glass double doors that led to a balcony. in the corner, there was also a door connected to the wall that was her closet.

nini scoffed as she turned to find the door closed behind her. she didn't bother to check to see if it was locked, she could already assume that's what they did.

she felt the anger rush through her as she looked around the room, walking to the bed to grab the bed sheets and tie it up to more that she found in a drawer of a dresser.

once nini was satisfied with it, she headed to the balcony and opened up the door, walking over a few steps to the edge and taking the long rope of sheets she'd made before starting to toss them over.

"it's a long way down."

she whipped her head around to see the curly-haired man standing there, his leather jacket still on him and his dark brown eyes on her. he had the same emotionless expression she'd seen him wear earlier tonight and that made her wonder more things about him.

"i'm going home." she snapped, turning away and trying to throw the rope of sheets out the window but the man stopped her again

"and home is...?"

"none of your business." she muttered, continuing with what she was doing before the man nodded

"nina salazar-roberts." he said making her freeze "from west bronx, new york city. you lived with your mother until you were thirteen until she died of dementia which then lead you to live in a trailer park until recently."

his voice was cold and steady and something that definitely should have intimidated her...but the funny thing was that it didn't.

nini folded her arms as she turned back to face him "alzheimer's."

the man lifted a brow to show a questioning gaze. from what she assumed at least...he didn't really change any other expression on his face.

"my mom died of alzheimer's." she answered shortly before turning back around

"you're still planning on leaving?"

"i'm definitely not staying here." she replied with a scoff

"maybe you should watch it." he said dangerously

"or what? you'll get one your guys to shoot me? because that's how you deal with people who don't obey you right? kill them?" she questioned him shakily

the man understood and nodded "this is about lorenzo."

"that guy back at that warehouse bar told you that he's dead. and you said that that was good." nini whispered as her eyes stung "an innocent, defenseless man died! you're heartless. and ruthless. and a monster!"

"he may have been defenseless but he sure as damn hell wasn't innocent." the man said calmly as he walked towards the brunette with large, slow steps "think what you will of me. i don't give a shit if i'm a monster to you. if i'm the monster, where he came from was worse. what he did killed, hurt and ruined more lives than what i've done. so, again, think what you want."

nini clenched her jaw as she stayed silent, noticing he was only two feet away from her before she took a small step back

the man looked her up and down briefly before taking a deep breath "you have no where to go. stay the night before tossing yourself onto the street."

nini furrowed her brows "y-you want me...to stay? i thought—"

"like i said. think what you want." he told her simply before walking out of the room, closing the door behind him. but no lock.

nini opened her mouth as she walked towards it and opened the door. and it did, easily.

she closed it once again before exhaling deeply. then deciding to hesitantly undo the rope of sheets so that she could get ready to go to sleep.