Chapter 6

Later that day Mia walks into my room and pulls out one of my favorite rompers.

"What are we doing?"

"You'll see, just put that on."

I walk downstairs with the dress on and Jacob couldn't keep his eyes off of me.

"So where are we going?"

"We all figured we'd go to a karaoke club 'cuz why not."

"Bet."

We all drive to this really cool karaoke club.

Jake looks at Mia and shakes his head no but she pushes him.

"Hey Syd. Maybe wanna sing a duet?"

Jake wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"I'd be down."

"Sweet. I'll let you know."

I look over at Jacob who is giving Jake a bit of a death stare. I walk over and sit with him.

"You gonna sing?"

"Probably not."

"Why not? That's what we are here to do."

"I mean I'm just kinda here to watch everyone fail."

"I mean apparently I'm singing a duet with Jake-"

"Oh- why was his arm around you?"

"No idea, but if you down I'm willing to sing a duet with you."

"Really? What would you want to sing?"

"I guess that would be up to you."

Jacob smirks and looks at his phone.

"I'll have to find you later."

"You know where to find me."

I pull out my phone and unblock Jacob on tiktok. I scroll through it but I get startled by Paige.

"Whatcha looking at?"

"Jacob's tiktok."

"What for?"

I shrug my shoulders.

"Honestly I have no idea."

- later -

Jake walks over to me.

"Ready to sing your ass off?"

"Oh you bet." I stand up and follow Jake up to the stage.

"Now welcoming up to the stage Jake Hayward and Sydney Payne singing Like I'm Gonna Lose You."

Jacob lifts up his head to see how this one goes.

The music starts and Jake and I look at each other and he smiles at me.

" I found myself dreaming in sliver and gold. Like a scene from a movie that every broken heart knows. "

Jacob crosses his arm once he notices the song.

" I'm gonna love you. Like I'm Gonna Lose You. I'm gonna hold you, like I'm saying goodbye. "

All of a sudden, Jacob stands up and takes the mic from Jake.

" In the blink of an eye, just a whisper of smoke. You could lose everything, the truth is you never know. "

Jake walks back to the table and sits down.

"My work here is done."

Mia rolls her eyes.

"Well our plan is working."

Tabitha and Paige fist bump and they all continue watching Jacob and I.

" I'm gonna love you, like I'm Gonna gonna lose you. I'm gonna hold you. Like I'm saying goodbye. Wherever we're standing I won't take you for granted. Cause we'll never know when, when we run out of time. "

The song ends and we just look at each other before he kisses me. This time in front of our friends. The crowd cheers for some reason.

Jacob and I get off the stage. I pull him aside for a moment.

"What the hell was that?"

"I- I don't know, I guess I got jealous-"

"Jacob.. don't get me wrong, I'm still have some feelings for you but this.. us.. would never work.."

"What do you mean it would never work? We've kissed twice. Plus all the times in high school!"

"It's exactly that! High school! It all goes back to high school! How can I be sure your not gonna just leave me again?"

"Sydney.."

I walk back to the table and grab my stuff.

"I'm going home."

The girls look at each other with confusion on what just happened. Vinnie stands up.

"I'll go check on her if you want-"

"Go ahead Vin."