Chapter Twenty Two - The Summoning

Start from the beginning

As the angel stood in protest, looking insulted, Hades pushed his way into the room dragging Uxi along behind him. A goddess, seated and sipping tea, turned to see what the interruption was. Her wavy golden tresses swung as she moved and her violet blue eyes widened with curiosity as she saw Hades. Behind her, languishing on a large leather recliner, was a handsome and youthful-looking god very familiar to Uxi. He was robed in finery as silken and shining as his platinum blond hair, and his self-indulgent smile flickered when he laid eyes on his visitors.

'Hello, Brother,' he said, not sounding thrilled.

'Shove it,' returned Hades pleasantly.

'Oh, you're Lord Zeus' brother?' gasped the angel, who had appeared in the doorway, knocking Uxi to one side. 'I beg your forgiveness, Lord Hades,' she added, 'I didn't recognise your eyes...under all that hair...'

She looked at his unruly appearance with distaste. Hades' cheek muscle began to twitch, and Zeus snorted with laughter.

'It's an understandable mistake, my dear Xephi. I mean, look at you, Brother. You look like a vagrant. I'm glad nobody can tell we're related.'

He waved the angel away, and she excused herself with one last poisonous smile at Uxi and Hades.

'You amuse me, Brother,' drawled Zeus, eyeing Uxi up and down. 'Look at the company you keep; when did you get into the habit of picking up and taking in my leftovers? Although, they say one man's trash is another man's treasure, don't they?' He chuckled at himself, as though this were the funniest joke in the world. Hades just glared at him without moving, and the goddess sipped at her tea, her pretty face expressionless. 'So, what brings you up here? I summoned her, not you.'

'If you think I'm ever leaving her alone with you again,' said Hades coolly, 'you're even stupider than you look. And damn, do you look stupid.'

Zeus' cheeks reddened, and the false, charming smile faded from his face. Uxi stared at him fearfully, and was surprised as a gentle hand was placed on her arm. She looked up into the goddess' face, and for the first time noticed the shimmering tiara upon her head.

'Lady Hera!' she recognized the woman with amazement. She'd seen the queen many times in her previous years, but had never met her face to face. It was a bit of a shock - Uxi was stunned at how strikingly lovely this goddess was in person.

Hera smiled at Uxi warmly, and turned to Hades.

'We are charmed to have you here, little one,' she said in a soft, melodic voice. 'It has been a long time. I do wish you would come more often.'

To Uxi's astonishment, Hades turned and bowed smartly.

'Forgive the intrusion, Sister,' he said, and the queen glided over and touched his face in affection.

'She moves like a swan!' thought Uxi in awe.

Hera smiled sweetly as Hades kissed her hand, and she turned to her husband. 'Didn't you have business to attend to, darling?'

Zeus cleared his throat and shifted in his seat. 'Of course. Come here, angel.'

Trembling, Uxi did as she was told and inched forward until she stood directly before him. He flexed his knuckles and stared at her with a grimace.

'Once again, you are charged with breaking the divine rules of conduct. I banned you from the human world, did I not?' Uxi stared at the floor, and Zeus glared. 'You won't answer me, angel? I forget...did they rip out your tongue when they ripped out your wings?'