Chapter 4: A Cruel Lie

After having breakfast with Ijekiel and Duke Alpheus, I went straight to my room. 

In order to find a way back to the "real world", I need to first figure out how I even got here in the first place.

Again, it couldn't have been reincarnation because as far as I know, I didn't die. 

"Teresa, get me a piece of paper," I said.

"Here you go my lady," she said while giving me a piece of paper and a pen.

House Alpheus must have a library in it, right? The Duke is known for being a successful and wealthy man. It'll really help if I can find any books regarding reincarnation or even body swapping.

"Do you perhaps know where the library is?" I asked trying my best not to sound suspicious. 

"Ah yes! Although you know this already my lady. After all, you avoid the library the most." she replied.

"Oh...well I forgot as I don't visit that place often...you know?..." I said trying to avoid her eyes. (Gosh I'm being so suspicious right now)

"Ehemm (Remember: You're still a respected lady. Use your power of superiority for once and also, act like a lady!!!) Where is it located?" I said firmly.

"I'll guide you to it my lady. It's near the Duke's study so it isn't that far".

She took me to the library. It was beautiful. How can a house have such an extravagant and humongous library?!?! 

I have a feeling doing research here will take ages.

Well then, let's get started.

______________________________________

After a few minutes of searching and reading.....

I have never in my life missed the internet and google so much, it feels like I can't live without them.

AHHHH!!!! How am I supposed to find an ounce of a clue as to how I came to this world if I can't even find a book actually tackling actual useful information.

All I found in the theories in other worlds sections were either horribly written rumors turned into a book or a romance light novel of a person going to another world.

Well....I was dumb to think such information will be bestowed upon me.

I'm also dumb enough to think, I can easily come up with a logical, fully-explained reason as to how I came here.

I was able to write down some theories but none of them are heavily supported with evidence and are just speculations I randomly thought of.

___________

Why I became Jennette:

1. I reincarnated 

2. Me and Jennette swapped bodies and she is currently in the modern world.

3. A random magician's random spell caused havoc and transported my soul into Jennette's body.

4. Jennette died..??

5. Black magic!! I think..

6. Jennette was actually an evil reincarnated demon and since Athanasia stole her spotlight, she died and dragged a random person (me) into this world.

7. Do they serve caramel pudding here?.....

______________

I give up.

The only way I can think of a good theory on how on earth I got into this webtoon universe is by consulting someone.

Lucas.......

Will he help me tho? He helped Athanasia, so why wouldn't he help me?

I mean...he does call Jennette a chimera and doesn't like her very much but....I'm not really Jennette am I?...

The only time Jennette encounters Lucas was when she is attending Athy's tea party and when she visited Athy.

Maybe Athy even knows a way to get out of this place!

Ah yes! I'll just get closer to Athy so that way I can at the very least find a reason as to how I got here.

Alright! Mission has already been set!

It wouldn't be that hard since Athy will befriend Jennette originally anyways.

And plus if Athy is on my side, it wouldn't be hard convincing Lucas to help me.

The only problem I have is trying not to be an obstacle to Athy's happy ending. I'll just need to avoid Claude as much as I could!

As I was lost in thought, I heard Teresa approaching me.

"My lady, the Duke wants to speak to you," she said.

Ah right...I forgot that Alpheus wanted to talk about the upcoming debutante ball. 

________________

I knocked at the door to his office.

*knock, knock* 

He opened it.

"Greetings Duke Alpheus!" I said enthusiastically.

"Greetings Jennette, You may come in." He replied.

As I entered his office, I felt something strange. Chills suddenly went down my spine for no reason and the atmosphere suddenly changed.

Alpheus locked the door.

"Take a seat Jennette," he said in a serious tone.

I took a seat and said, "Why have you asked for me Duke?".

"You can stop being so formal now Jennette. The reason I asked for you is regarding the planned declaration of you being His Majesty's daughter".

Oh...I remember

Jennette was supposed to be revealed as Claude's daughter at the debutante ball, but because Athy was able to change her fate, it was delayed.

"Look, I know you have been waiting for this moment ever since you were a child but the timing is not very good right now".

"Just remember, you're still His Majesty's daughter and he'll love you like a daughter once he finds out the truth."

"When will he find out about it though?....."I asked reluctantly.

"Be patient Jennette," he replied.

"But i-"

"Jennette! If you become impatient, the process will become slower" He said as he scrunch his eyebrows in frustration.

"Alright....." I replied.

"That's all you may leave now" 

I was walking to the door when I heard him mumble, "Athanasia that girl....."

I went out of the office.

__________________

I tried my best to seem disappointed about such news. 

Though I wasn't surprised, I can't help but......

pity you Jennette....

You grew up thinking you were Claude's daughter and that he would accept you no matter what. You grew up thinking you would one day be a respected princess with you fiance Ijekiel who will love you until the end. But the truth is....that will never happen.

You were always given false hopes. Sometimes I feel as if your whole life is a lie.

In the end, you were just a pawn....a tool for the Imperial throne.

You were neglected by the people you should be able to call family.

And yet....You never seemed to have the idea of cutting ties with them.

You're just a child, wanting to receive affection. 

This world truly is cruel to you...............