Truth

"Come on," He yelled, "We're gonna be late if you don't hurry!!" The boy puffed his cheeks out, jumping down the steps and running in circles.

"I'm going as fast as I can." The mother said softly in her angelic voice, her dark fluffy auburn hair bounced ever so slightly as she desended the stairs. She took her son's hand and began to smile at him as they walked.

"You seem excited; any reason why, Travis?" She looked lovingly at her son who was absolutely beaming.

"Yeah, yeah! Carter will be there; he's super cool." He gushed, excited to see his new friend.

"He's a sweet boy. We should invite him over sometime." She smiled as the boy pulled free from her grasp. Spinning around in excitement.

"Yes! You'll love him! He's the best established person," He then began running, too impatient to wait on his mother.

"Be careful, Sweetie!" He voice rang out as he drew closer the bridge.

It cracked and moved beneath him slightly as he peered over the edge.

The waves beneath him crashed against each other violently in a fight of power.

The clouds began together as fog gather, the air growing cold.

"Sweetie, hold on!" She yelled, barely audible anymore.

"Come back!" She yelled, her voice panicked as the boy stared.

He began running as fast as his small legs could take him.

The bridge crumbled underneath him; he couldn't reach her.

The fog became thick; it was dark and grey and filled his lungs.

He could see the fire as it rose above the fog, the smoke.

He could barely see her through the smoke.

"Momma!"

He yelled.

"Can you hear me?"

He begged.

Her pretty white gown was no longer white; red and black. Ash and blood.

She was on the ground, heaving, coughing.

Why couldn't she hear him?

"Mom, please get up!"

Travis felt hands surround him.

They pulled and tugged; he tried to fight.

He lost.

He tried to scream.

He was silenced.

He could feel the wood beneath his feet turn to grass as he was pulled away.

He couldn't see anything.

The smoke blocked out all light except for the raging flames just far enough away.

He felt the boiling hot tears run down his face, burning him, staining his cheeks.

His legs gave out, and he crumbled to the floor.

He begged.
And begged.

Then he screamed.

He kept screaming until his throat hurt. Until his vocal cords seemed to rip; until he couldn't scream anymore.

"Hey?"

He opened his eyes, and the smoke slowly cleared.

"Are you alright?"