Pointless Violence

Tw: Violence

As Travis quietly stepped inside the house he took each step so delicately, trying to make as little noise as possible. He didn't see, or hear, his father anywhere. Everything seemed so peaceful... He didn't become calm too quickly, though. He slowly walked through the entrance and into the kitchen to the livingroom. The only audible noise was the clicking of the clock on the wall as even his footsteps only made small scuffs. As he approached the staircase, he nearly let out a sigh of relief as he grabbed the guardrail.

"Travis Arthur Phelps."

As he heard Kenneth's voice from behind him, he became stiff. Travis' heart dropped as he heard his footsteps become louder as the space between the two closed in. Travis swallowed his breath and slowly turned to Kenneth. He was fuming; Travis had never seen him this angry. His stare looked like it could kill someone and it only worsened Travis' fear. One word repeated through his mind, the situation fully setting in. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"Uhm, yes, Sir?" Travis lowered his gaze not daring to make eye contact. He felt sick. His voice was already cracking and shaky.

"Where were you." Kenneth never asked questions; if he did then you knew to answer right. It was never a question, though, it was always a command. Travis had learned that the hard way.

"I," Travis paused as he saw Kenneths fists balled up, ready to strike. "I decided to go on a walk, Sir." Travis could feel himself shake more as his anxiety shot threw the roof. He begged God to please let his father have mercy on him. Please.

Kenneth was silent for another couple seconds, causing Travis to draw his eyes up to him. When he did, he earned a heavy slap to the face and immediately covered it with his hand.

"Ow!!" Travis felt the tears well up in his eyes as he held his face. He tried as hard as possible to not cry; his father got worse when he did.

"Tell me the truth, boy, and maybe you won't get slapped." Kenneth took a couple steps forward and Travie instinctively flinched back, causing Kenneth to grab him by the collar. Travis tried to dissociate from the situation, move himself away as best as he could, but it was a struggle. "Where were you?" Kenneth repeated, obviously angry as he stared Travis in the eyes.

"I went to the park..." Travis mumbled, to nervous to say it much louder. "I had a nightmare, and it was late, and I needed fresh air. So, I didn't think to tell you; I didn't mean to stay. I'm sorry sir."

Kenneth's grip only tightened on Travis' shirt as he shook. He scowled before he slapped Travis once more. Kenneth grabbed Travis' hair and pulled his face close to his.

"You're pathetic, you know that?" He paused for a moment not really wanting an answer; Travis didn't dare open his mouth. "I might have well had a little girl; you're practically the same, you fuckin' sissy!" He practically spat at Travis.

He tried not to think about what was happening, it made it all worse. When he was finally on the floor, gripping his wrist, the tears finally broke through and he shut his eyes tight. If he just had his thoughts somewhere else, it would be over soon...

"Men don't cry." Kenneth towered over Travis as he sat, shaking, trying to calm down. "Pathetic." Kenneth pushed Travis to the ground harshly with his foot before turning around and walking away.

Travis opened his eyes a bit, focusing on the footsteps slowly getting quieter. He quickly pushed himself up with his non-hurt hand and quietly made his way to the stairs. He stumbled up them quickly, trying to stay quiet as the adrenaline in his veins coursed through him. When he got to his room, he looked for the key that sat atop his doorway and grabbed it. Kenneth couldn't unlock the door without it. Travis clumsily pushed his desk chair up against  the door, happy for once it wasn't a rolly chair. As he heard silence become deafeningly loud, he hid inside his closet, fumbling with a belt to tie it closed.