Chapter Fifteen: The Divine Move

Scott had claimed that he knew where the Nogitsune took Lydia but by the time they had everyone gathered together and ready to fight, the sun was beginning to set, meaning the Oni were bound to attack at any moment.

Jordan had called Ayla's phone a couple of times wondering where she had gone. Quickly, she had made up an excuse that she was with Kira and Allison having a movie night. In reality, Ayla was in the back seat of Stiles' jeep, sitting next to Isaac as they made their way to an abandoned building that was once apparently used as a Japanese internment camp.

Scott tried to force Ayla to stay behind as she was still just a human who didn't have much experience with all of this, but she refused. Instead, she packed up the two small knives she had taken from the Argents and prepared herself to fight if need be.

The more time that passed, the worse Stiles looked. It was getting so noticeable that everyone around him was clearly worried but just didn't want to say anything for fear that it might upset the boy.

"Hey, you okay?" Stiles asked Scott, who had been glancing at his friend every few seconds.

"Yeah. Yeah. You don't have to worry about me." What he really wanted to say was 'worry about yourself because you look like death himself.'

Luckily Isaac was there to voice what everyone was thinking. "Alright, I'll say it. You look like you're dying. You're pale, thin and you look like you're getting worse. And we're all sitting here thinking it."

Isaac wasn't wrong, Stiles had very dark and prominent black under-eye bags, his lips were almost completely white and chapped, and his voice was harsh and jagged.

"Just because we were all thinking it doesn't mean you had to say it like that!" Ayla scolded the boy. There was a silence that overcame them but Ayla couldn't help herself, she had to ask. "When we find the other...you, is he gonna look like he's getting better? What happens if he gets hurt?"

"You mean if he dies, do I die?" Stiles rephrased for her, before shrugging, "I don't care. Just so long as no one else dies because of me." Everyone in the car was taken back by this.

Ayla expected the boy to want to live, despite everything that had happened. Scott gave his best friend that same look of concern that Ayla had.

"I remember everything I did, Scott," Stiles began, looking over his shoulder at the boy next to him. "I remember pushing that sword into you. I remember twisting it, I remember what I did to Ayla...and I remember liking it."

"It wasn't you," Scott tried to convince Stiles but the boy refused.

"Yeah, but I remember it. You guys gotta promise me." Stiles was mainly talking to Isaac and Scott now, "You can't let anyone else get hurt because of me."

Though neither of them agreed out loud, they all came to a silent understanding that they would do as Stiles asked of them.

When they arrived at Oak Creek, the old internment camp, Allison and Kira were waiting for them at the front gate. The six of them gathered in a group, an unspoken heaviness filling the air.

Hugging her friend tightly, Ayla let out a sigh. Maybe it was the fact that they were going into a fight that made her realize but, Ayla missed the girl, they haven't hung out in a while and she felt as though they hadn't even really spoken to each other. That definitely was going to have to change.

"We've done this before, guys," Scott said, trying to bring up the moral. "A couple of weeks ago we were standing around just like this and we saved Malia, remember? That was a total stranger. This is Lydia."

Allison nodded. "I'm here to save my best friend."

"I came to save mine," Scott gave Stiles a warm smile.