Chapter 32: Signal Flags

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry Megumi," Maki cooed sarcastically, "I'll make sure you cry just as hard as you would if you were fighting Haku."

"I've never cried!"

Haku failed to hide their sudden burst of laughter. With a cheeky expression, Haku turned to Fushiguro as they teased, "I clearly remember our fights differently then."

"Haku Senpai," Kugisaki called out once again, "what was the event like last year? And why didn't the rest of you participate?" she asked, glancing at the other three second year students standing on the athletic field.

"Usually first years don't participate in the event," Panda explained, "it's reserved for second and third years. Last year our upperclassmen had prior commitments so Haku and Yuta were chosen."

"How was the event?" out of curiosity, Kugisaki asked Haku.

Haku made small movements, tilting their head to the side but ultimately shrugged, "I don't remember anything."

Raising a brow, Kugisaki leaned forward, "You don't remember?"

"Nothing useful, just a really annoying guy I'd rather never see again."

"You seem to find everyone annoying."

"Not true."

Maki intervened, "Anyway, that's enough chit chat for now."

Absent-mindedly, Kugisaki wondered aloud, "Where is Gojo Sensei anyway?"

Fushiguro stood up, dusting himself off, "Who knows— off provoking more chaos than resolving, I assume."

Beneath the school in the intricately woven catacombs of the underground network, things were beginning to move. In a hollow, empty chamber dimly lit by torchlight reserved for meetings of high ranking officials, The Council has been summoned. Gathered behind a lengthy table adorned with a white tablecloth whose only purpose of existence was to add a 'pop' of brightness to the room, hooded and cloaked figures sat in their usual places. Standing in the middle of the room, Gojo had all attention on him as the deafening silence filled every available space, even the cracks in the wall and made the limited musty air insufferable to breathe.

"Satoru. How rare of you to request a meeting with the Council. To what do we owe this displeasure?" said the middle figure behind the table, highly likely to be the unnamed 'Leader' or headmaster of The Council responsible for maintaining orderly conduct throughout meetings.

Gojo scoffed, not from the air quality, and folded his arms across his chest, "Quit acting stupid. Oh, but since this is the Council I'm addressing, it's safer to assume you're not acting."

"As brazen and arrogant as always, Satoru," sneered yet another mysterious figure, but from prior interactions and unmistakably rugged voice, Gojo knew it was none other than Principal Gakuganji.

"Although it was indeed a nice surprise to be informed that Sukuna's Vessel met an untimely end on Osorezan courtesy of the Prophet: The White Dragon. I suppose a fraction of good came about in appointing you to oversee Namie's progress."

"That is the exact topic I want to discuss with all of you," Gojo spoke seriously, not bothering to take the time for his usual snide remark the Principal's way. "To know that Itadori died during that mission, everyone present must also be aware that the safety of my students was compromised by two Unregistered Special Grade Curses."

"Yes, we are aware of the matter."

He tilted his head, "And no one is alarmed in the slightest?", he asked calmly but the underlying tone carried notes of disbelief.