Prologue

[Camilo; 5 year-old]

Today is the day, in a few hours, I'll be getting my gift!

"Mira, Mira!" I screamed into mi prima's ear and wake her up. "Today is the day!"

Mi prima, Mirabel, let out a huge yawn before removing the sleepiness from her eyes.

"Is it the day where you'll finally realized that I'm your favorite cousin?" She asked, jokingly.

I playfully rolled my eyes before grabbing her hands with a huge smile. "Prima, you're always my favorite cousin." I told her and laughed when she rolled her eyes with a grin.

"Of course I am," She said with pride.

Mirabel really is my favorite cousin, only because she is the same age as me. I am older than her by a few months.

"What's the day again?" She asked stupidly.

I let out a groan and grabbed the calendar to show her the date. "December 28 prima!"

Her eyes widen before a huge grin appeared on her face. "It's your birthday AND your gift ceremony!!" She said and excitedly grab my hands and dance around the nursery room.

I laughed and dance along with her. "What do you think my gift will be?" I asked her once we stopped dancing. "I bet it will be cool!"

"Whatever it is, you will make it cool anyway primo!" Mirabel encourages me making me smile.

We both shush each other and hide under her bed when we heard a knock on the door.

The door opened and I can see a pair of shoes going inside, looking for us.

"Prima? Hermano?" I hear my hermana, Dolores, asked us.

Mirabel giggled and I shushed her, silently giggling as well.

The pair of shoes stopped in front of Mirabel's bed and faced us. She knelt down and with a smile she ushered us to get out.

Mi prima and I giggled and get out of the bed and into my sister's open arms.

"Happy birthday, hermano." She whispered to me with a gentle smile.

Mi hermana always whisper or mumble out her words because she said that her gift, which is super hearing, can be a bother to her. Whenever she would talk normally or shout, her voice would echo in her head and there's a chance where she'll get a migraine or pass out.

"Thank you, hermana." I thanked her and hugged her tightly.

Mirabel giggled and called out to Dolores. "Do you think Camilo's gift will be cool?"

Dolores laughed softly. "Just like what you said to Camilo, Mirabel. Whatever his gift is, he will be the one to make it cool."

My heart swelled with pride. I love my family a lot, I just hope that I can make Abuela proud like how mi hermana and primas make her proud.

Then, mami (Pepa) and papi (Felix), revealed themselves at the entrance of the nursery door.

"You ready, mijo?" Mami asked me, a rainbow above her head.

I carefully removed myself out of my sister's arms and ran towards my parents arms. "Ready as I'll ever be mami, papi."

"That's our boy." I hear papa said with a smile and ruffled my hair.

=====

"Forty years ago, in our darkest moment, this candle blessed us with a miracle. And the greatest honor of our family has been to use our blessings to serve this beloved community. Tonight, we come together once more as another steps into the light to make us proud."