01: Inner Turmoil

[Camilo; 10 year-old]

"Camilo, we need another Andrés to rally up the chickens!"

I cursed in my mind before walking towards Abuela, who is waiting for me with Señor Andrés at the front door.

"Sure thing Abuela!" I told her and flashed her one of my fake smiles.

"Oh, don't forget to babysit Señora Maria's baby, mijo." She reminded me before going off with Señora Guzman, Mariano Guzman's mom.

I sighed. Ever since I got my gift, Abuela announced to the rest of the familia that I'll be helping the town by being someone else and to also be the town's babysitter. I love kids, don't get me wrong but I feel jealous every time I get to watch kids my age enjoying their childhood whereas I... have to grow-up as soon as I got my gift.

Shapeshifting into Señor Andrés, I walked with him to his chicken farm and rallied up his chickens.

Why do I have to rally up his chickens? He's only gossiping with the other adults anyway. He can gossip all he wants after rallying up his chickens but no! He needed me to be him because everyone knows that the chickens only love him and not anyone else! I sighed and shake my head at my mini ranting inside my head.

It is true though, everyone in town only needs me to be someone else. Despite me wanting to help everyone, they don't need Camilo as Camilo, they need Camilo Madrigal, Encanto's Shapshifter and Babysitter. They need me to be someone else and to leave their responsibilities to me.

A pity. Camilo Madrigal, 10 years-old, having trouble with his gift and had to grow up mentally at an early age of 5, thinking or taking other people's responsibility and making sure that everything is perfect. Not even thinking about his future or anything that other 10 year-old kids normally do.

"I'm done rallying up the chickens Señor, anything else you need help with?" I asked him. Even if I'm tired, I know that slacking off and not doing my part of the family would make Abuela mad.

She's already upset and disappointed at mi prima for not having a gift. Although she doesn't show it to her, she unintentionally expresses it very clearly that she's making Mirabel feel like the black sheep of the family, just like how Tio Bruno was the black sheep of the family before disappearing after her gift ceremony.

"Thank you Camilo, and no, I don't need any help at the moment." He thanked me with a smile and I nodded.

Finally arriving at my, hopefully, last chore of the day, I knocked on Señora Maria's door. Not even a second later, the door immediately opened and hands me her baby. "Finally you're here Camilo!" She said and rushed around her house to get her bag and other essentials. "All the things you'll need to know will be on a piece of paper on the counter, don't forget to turn into me!"

With that, she ran off and left me with her baby. The baby in my arms looked at me before wailing bloody murder. I sighed before shifting into Señora Maria and make funny faces at the baby. The bundle of joy in my arms smiled before laughing at me, even trying to catch my fingers and nibble on them, which I find cute.

I entered Señora's house and close the front door. I walked towards the counter top and spot the piece of paper. Upon reading the contents of the paper, I rolled my eyes with a sigh.

I'll have to babysit her up until 6 pm? Seriously? Dinner starts at 6 pm and it's already 3pm. I let out a sigh once again. Since this is my last chore, I might come home and be late at least 3 to 5 minutes but if someone asked for me then I'll be late for 30 minutes... great.

=====

"Why are you late again Camilo?"

I heard Abuela asked me once I entered the dining room 30 minutes late, again. I mumbled out an apology before taking a seat next to my papi (Felix) and hermana, who are staring at me worriedly.