O N E

— steves povs2 ep1

— steves pov
s2 ep1

i waited anxiously for nancy to finish reading my application letter, fidgeting in my seat. my car parked in the school parking lot as i watched people walk past.

"it's crap, i know" i finally speak up.

she paused for a minute before turning to me. "no, it's not crap." she defended before looking back at the page.

i look away, slightly sulking. "it's not good." i admit.

"it's going to be." she says smiling at me. "just.. it needs some reorganizing."

i let out a sigh, turning to look at her. "can i mark on it?" she grins. "yeah. yeah, i guess."

she shifts in her seat, facing me more as she looked over the page. "so, in the first paragraph, you used the basketball game versus northern as a metaphor to your life, which is great." she begins earning an 'mhm' from me." "but then, around here, you started talking about your grandads experience in the war. um, and i.. i don't see how they're connected."

"it connects because.. because, you know, we both won." i reply, she stares at me silently as i nod my head at my answer. she doesn't reply making me a little nervous. "do you think i should start from scratch?"

"no. i mean.." she paused for a moment. "when's the deadline?"

"it's tomorrow for early application." i answer. "can you come and help me tonight?"

"we have our dinner tonight, remember?" she replied.

i groan, throwing myself back in my seat. "oh, my god."

"we already cancelled last week." she said, staring at me a little while as i didn't reply. "you don't have to go. just work on this."

"no, no, no. what's the point." i scrunch up the paper, giving up. it was too much pointless work, i'll never get into any good school anyways.

"hey, calm down." nancy muttered to which i replied immediately. "i'm calm. im calm. im just being honest. you know, i mean.. im just going to end up working for my dad anyways." i admitted.

which is true. i don't even know why i thought i could achieve anything i can't even write a stupid application.

"that's not true." she defended.

"i don't know, nance. is that such a bad thing? there's insurance and benefits and all that adult stuff." i trailed. "and if i took it, you know, i could be around for your senior year."

"steve.." she began. "just to look after you a little bit. make sure you don't forget about this pretty face." i smirked.

she turned her head with a small laugh. "nance, i'm serious." i spoke earning her attention again.

in all honesty, that isn't what i want. i want to go to college. and the last thing i want to do is go work for my asshole of a father, but i'm not sure if she would understand that.

i leaned in for a kiss which she returned before giving her a reassuring smile. "i love you."

she smiled, looking up at me. "i love you, too."

suddenly, our heads turn at the sound of a car entering the parking lot loudly. we both got out of my car, following the noisy vehicle.

i glance around, stopping once my eyes land on jess henderson, the girl i had a thing for in the 4th grade. the first time she spoke to me was when i accidentally on purpose got my gum in her hair, she started crying as i apologized repeatedly, i didn't think she would get so upset but she eventually forgave me and little me was just happy i got her to speak to me. she give me a small smile despite what i had done, it was kind of cute.

we made eye contact as she also looked for the loud car, i smiled at her lightly but she didn't return it but instead began walking into school. my eyes followed her distant figure before i turned my attention back onto my girlfriend.

👾👾

i lean against the lockers in the school hallway, watching nance discuss with jonathan byers.

i smirk as i creep up to her wrapping my arms around her waist as i lift her up and spin her. she let out a shriek as i laughed.

"oh, my god! take those stupid things off." she replies hitting my arm, directing the last part to my super cool glasses.

"i missed you!" i grin, taking the glasses off.

"it's been like an hour." she speaks truthfully. "tell me about it." i reply pulling her in for a kiss to which she gladly returned.

she pulled away after a moment, returning to her locker. i kept the smile on my face as she turned her head and for a moment, i think back to my encounter with jess.

authors note:

short first chapter, ik there's not any actual scenes of them yet but dw they will come. i'm super excited to start this book, i hope you all enjoy it. :)

word count: 830