Chapter 11: Mother Knows Best

Start from the beginning

Things would go right back to how they were, of course. They would find another to satisfy their needs and you go back to putting your feelings into your work. So why did they save you? If they don't have at least some feelings for you then saving you would have only been a hinderance, unless, they only saved you because of their personal needs. You wanted to bawl your fists, cry, scream, anything but you know you must go to work and cannot let any of the Dimitrescus see you cry. Instead, you suck in a sharp breath and dig up your old ways.

In the main hall you hold the neutral face you have perfected over the past year; you stand next to Lady Dimitrescu until she orders you to sit. You eat in silence, and avoid looking at the daughters or Lady Dimitrescu, your jaw clenches every time one of them laughs or jokes. When Freia clears the dishes from the table Lady Daniela jokes about playing with her later, the anger boils inside your chest and causes your nose to twitch but you choked back the growl. Lady Dimitrescu finishes the meal by dismissing everyone but you, she says she has something special for you today.

"You will be working with me today." She states.

"Yes, My Lady."

You follow her to her chambers located near your own by the Hall of Ablution, and stand silently like a shadow along the wall. Lady Dimitrescu sits by the phone and dials a number to whom you presume is Mother Miranda, then she makes a few more calls about the celebration in a couple days. When she finishes, she hangs up the phone with an irritated slam, and pinches the bridge of her nose from stress. On que you walk over and hand her a box of cigarettes with her holder, she takes one silently, strikes a match and lights it. After a long breath in, then a long breath out, she glances down at you, her eyes scanning over your body.

"Which one was it?" She asks.

"Which one what, my lady?" You clarify.

"Which of my daughters managed to obtain your heart?" Her voice is venomous, you step back in self-preservation.

How are you to tell her that it's all three of her daughters and not just one? She will most definitely kill you or cut off every piece of your body that you didn't need to live. A knock from the door catches her attention, a different maid enters and informs Lady Dimitrescu that a shipment has arrived and needed her approval. With a sigh of relief, you and her walk from her chambers down to the carriage gate where she signs for multiple packages in large crates. She orders you to help bring them into the kitchen then to join her in her study. You did exactly as she asked without a word, the other maids avoid you as if you are radioactive, frankly you don't want them anywhere near you anyway.

You shed the coat halfway through carting the crates, you can carry an entire crate yourself while the others have to use the buddy system. Sweat drips down your forehead as you slam the last crate down into the back of the kitchen. You look up toward the entry to the cellar, imagining what it looked like to stumble upon Bela nearly frozen to death and you drowning in blood. During that entire time, your only thought was to get to Bela so she could survive, not caring about your own. Perhaps you're only alive so House Dimitrescu wouldn't have to owe you anything. With that on your mind you straighten up, wipe away your face, get a drink of water and recollect your coat.

On your way back to the lady's chambers you are grabbed by the shoulders and yanked into the supply closet, the smell of green apples mixed with cleaner makes you want to gag. Two hands forcibly push you against the only wall not decorated with mops or brooms and a nose finds its way to your neck. She sighs contently and rests her body against your own, a low chittering coming from her.

"Mmm, have you been avoiding me, pet?" She purrs.

Daniela leans back to look down at you, her eyes glowing even in the darkness, you can make out the silhouette of her head leaning toward you. At the last moment you turn and her cold lips plant against your cheek, a whimper stuck in your throat from the feeling. The threat of tears become very real and it takes everything to keep them contained. Daniela leans back again but you keep your face turned away, you can't look at her.