3| Remember

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Remember

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 3: Remember (Jules's POV)

Natalie's phone rang for the third time in the first ten minutes of the meeting and a sarcastic and dry chuckle softly poured of Christian who grew impatient. 

I couldn't believe it was him when my eyes first landed on him. I should have known, I should have known better. This was Natalie we were talking about and if she was looking for real estate, of course, she'd take the best in the city and that man is none other than Christian Lukov. 

"Why don't you just take it?" I asked, clearing my throat while quietly tapping my pen against the notepad before me. "They'll keep calling otherwise." 

She sighed and glanced at her screen before nodding just once and taking her phone as she pushed herself to her feet. "Excuse me for a moment, Mr. Lukov, I'm very sorry." 

I watched her with irritation until she left, the door closing behind her. 

That's so not what I meant. 

Dropping my pen on the table, I leaned back and folded my arms across my chest, staring at the hanging on the wall. 

"I thought it was you," he said. 

My jaw clenched instinctively as I refused to acknowledge, let alone answer him. 

"How've you been?" he asked. 

"Don't play nice. It doesn't suit you," I mumbled in response, tapping my fingernail against my sleeve, counting down each second, just anticipating the moment Natalie walked back in and saved me from this awful conversation. 

"You're right, it never has," he said. "Is this where you've been working since you quit?" 

I went silent again, deciding that it would be best for me to pretend like he didn't exist because that's exactly what I wanted. 

"Ah," he snickered, "I see how it is." 

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, willing myself to remain patient. 

He's not worth it and you know it, Jules. 

"Miss me, Red?" 

My eyes snapped open and I turned to look at him, glowering. "After what you did, do you really think I would miss you?" 

He held my gaze, his eyes taking a quick scan of my face, not missing a single spot, a single inch. He was sitting right here in front of me and it felt like I'd got back two years. Everything felt right for a heartbeat, like everything was still the same. But it most certainly wasn't. "You look different," he commented. 

"Stop talking to me. Let me make it very clear that you're here for a meeting with Natalie. She's the only person you need to speak to. So, if she's not here, then don't talk to me either." 

"Shall we wait in this miserable silence?" 

"It doesn't sound so miserable in comparison to your voice," I snapped back.