chapter twelve: better angels

Start from the beginning

Ally couldn't answer, too focused on the pain that had her back arching, the mournful howl that escaped her lips in that moment loud and involuntary. A pack member had just died. Ally's eyes flickered accusingly towards Pax. "What have you done? What have you done?"

Paxton smirked as he leaned over her, and in that moment he was truly wicked. "Nothing that can be undone." Whatever version of Paxton that she had fallen in love with so many times was gone. The boy she was once destined to be with was evil.

And she was going to put him down like the rabid dog that he was.

Ally gritted her teeth. "I'm going to kill you."

"No, you aren't", Pax scoffed. "You don't have the guts to kill anyone darling, you never have. I know way more about you than you know about me. So", he picked up a golden dagger, laced with something red down the center of the blade, "just know that I'll put you down way before you ever touch me, mutt. Because this? This is made specifically to kill you. You're an abomination, Ally."

Ally narrowed her eyes, the cuffs around her wrists burning as she attempted to gather magic. Eventually, she cocked her head back and slammed her forehead right into Paxton's nose, causing him to go sprawling off the bed. "Son of a bitch!", he shouted, blood spraying from his nose as he reached up a hand.

"Ab his-" Ally's words died on her tongue as Paxton sprang up and tackled her, dagger poised to kill. The two grappled around for a moment before he shoved the dagger into her stomach, a gasp escaping her lips, a silent scream. Dark veins spiderwebbed around the wound immediately, creeping up her pale skin as if something was poisoning her from the inside out. Tears leaked from her eyes while Paxton sat up, panting and out of breath. If she was going to die, she knew one thing for sure... "If I'm leaving this earth today, you're coming with me", she hissed, looping her handcuffs around his neck. They may not have been flexible like normal handcuffs, but they were harsh enough to get the job done with the way she jerked upwards and harshly, the enchanted metal burning his skin and her wrists as she rattled off random spells solely for that. Pax clawed at her skin, her wrists, her face, any place he could reach, but it was no use. Eventually, his body went slack. "Ab his compedibus me solve", Ally finished through gasping for air.

She was barely able to stand, her legs weak to the point she even fell the first time, quickly ripping the dagger out of her stomach. "Incendium." It burst into flames as she struggled to stand, one hand pressed to her stomach, the other bracing herself against the wall and furniture as she stumbled her way out of the cabin. But she was fading fast, her vision dark around the edges the farther she walked until she was sinking down into the dirt, her only hope being her pack. 'Zeke...' She didn't get to finish her plea.

That didn't matter. Faint as her voice may have been through the link, he had heard her. Though he had been busy at that moment, caught up in the chaos around him, Zeke didn't hesitate to shift and hunt for Ally's scent. They had just lost a pack member, they couldn't lose another. Through rivers and over hills, he searched and prowled like the creature of the night that he was until he finally found her, whining almost brokenly as he nuzzled her with his snout only for her to not move an inch. For days, he stayed by her side, growling at anything that got too close, gathering materials to bring her safely home.

 For days, he stayed by her side, growling at anything that got too close, gathering materials to bring her safely home