[5] So that is your favorite flower

April 12th,1986. 8:27 p.m. Robin Buckley's house.

Robin had been ready for the last ten minutes. It's one thing to be late for Harrington, but with nance, it'd be different. She couldn't let her wait outside her shitty old house; that'd be embarrassing on her part. She had been looking out the window for the last five minutes, waiting for her to pull up. Hopefully, when she did pull up, she wouldn't notice her peeking through the blinds. And then she arrived. Robin already had a sinking feeling in her stomach, and she was pretty sure that's what "butterflies" felt like. She then hurried out the door.

She got into Nancy's car and noticed something. Maybe she was a lot redder in the face than usual. Maybe she was embarrassed about something, but Robin didn't bother asking, though she wanted to.

I hope it doesn't bother you how much we've seen each other recently. I just really like your company."

Robin didn't know how she was supposed to admit to Steve that he was right. "I really don't mind at all. You're cool and so pretty. It's not like I wouldn't want to be around you. " which was the basic summary of what Robin said, trying to cover up how everything she was saying was so un-platonic.

The only thing in Nancy's head was how weirdly cute she thought Robin was. She'd be talking, then the next minute she'd be on the opposite topic. Nancy wondered how her mind worked, and especially why Robin would go cherry red in front of her at any given moment.

"Can I ask you something, Nance?" This was probably going to be too personal, but what did she have to lose?

"Go for it," Nance responded.

"Are you and Jonathan still a... thing?" Robin softly asked.

That question left a sour taste in Nancy's mouth; she didn't even know Robin knew about them. "Well, no. We're not. " She took a second to breathe. "Ever since they all moved, my relationship with him was never the same. There was no physical connection." She then sighed.

Robin realized what she had just gotten herself into and quickly apologized, "I'm sorry, I didn't know." I think I saw the flowers in your room the other day and was curious about if he had given them to you. "

"Those weren't from him, those were from my mom. She got them for me because she noticed I looked sadder than normal, something like that. "

"Are those your favorite kinds of flowers?" Lilacs and daisies? " Robin asked, again softly.

"They are." Nancy thought it would be a great idea to ask Robin if she ever had a boyfriend, "Since we're on the topic of relationships, have you ever had a boyfriend?"

Robin knew, deep in her heart, she could not fuck this question up. She couldn't ruin something like this already. She thought she was safe until Nance asked, "You've really never had a crush on anyone?" she exclaimed.

"I've had crushes on people like Tammy Thompson and Vickie, I don't remember her last name-" Robin realized what she'd done and was petrified of Nancy's reaction.

"Her?" Nance couldn't be upset or anything; she thought it was just a little obvious how Robin acted and the way she spoke."Her
." At this point, there were tears in her eyes. She sighed while a single tear fell; "I'm sorry, Nancy. I can't help it. I've tried to make it go away, but it never works. I don't want things to be different between us." Her head was once again in her hands, "Nancy. I don't like you like that. Please don't think I do. I don't see you like that. "

At this point, they'd already been parked in a random supermarket parking lot for ten minutes. Nancy moved closer to Robin and tried to take her hands away from her face. She wasn't budging, though. "Robin" in the softest tone she could speak.

The only thing Robin could say was, "Nancy, I told you I'm sorry, I can't help it."

"Please look at me." She had managed to get Robin's hands out of her face. She rested her hand on her right cheek, saying, "I don't hate you. Nothing will change between us. There's nothing wrong with you. You're no different from me."

"What do you mean?" Buckley questioned,

"I'll explain more later. I think it'd be best if we went back to my house now. " Nancy tried to comfort Robin, well, at least the best she could in the front seat of her car.

Their drive home was smooth, the radio on low, and Buckley fidgeted with her rings and the hem of her jacket more than usual.