Chapter Fourteen: The Russian

Start from the beginning

The man deflected it again but the brief second his attention was drawn away Jamie had disappeared only to be replaced by the painfully strike of a fist to his kidney followed by another to his other side as he felt his flesh burn from the flaming fists. He swung out on instinct but his fist met only air as Jamie was gone again and appeared out of whirlwind of white flames with Joseph by his side back to his original position next to the unconscious Taylor. Jamie imagined the short and shield he'd used during his fight the other day and let them materialize in his hands the strange hardness from the handle of the shield and the sword fuelling him with courage.

"Jamie you aren't strong enough to take him by yourself, if that's what you’re thinking" said Joseph who had now reformed his claymore and held it out before him ready to fight.

"I wasn't, let's do this I'll follow your lead" said Jamie standing with his legs shoulder width apart ready to defend himself for any attack from the Russian.

Joseph ran forward bringing his claymore up high then bringing it down ready to cleave the giant in twain with the huge blade as it descended upon its prey. The Russian formed a huge shield made of the obsidian black fire of his arms, it was crude looking with spike made from the flames protruding from its surface and was shaped into a crescent moon. He blocked the strike from the claymore and bashed back with the shield attempting to catch Joseph in the chest with the wicked spikes in its centre. Joseph managed to bring the blade back up with incredible speed to knock the shield aside causing the spikes to pass but a few inches away from him as the Russian stumbled aside from the parry. Jamie wasted no time by taking advantage of the giants misfortune by rushing in bring his sword down aimed for his neck ready to his head from his neck with one swift blow.

The Russian was already expecting it, lashing out with his shield at the last possible moment sending Jamie's sword out wide then drove his fist forward for his ribs. Jamie brought his shield in to block just in time but all it did was slow the strike down by a fraction of a second. His fist broke the shield apart causing white embers to flutter to the ground, allowing his fist to collide with Jamie's ribs causing his bones to rumble and snap loudly piercing the air. Jamie stumbled back clutching his side taking sharp unsteady breath’s as he tried to regain his balance by leaning on the overturned land rover for support.

There was a scream from where the twins had been fighting the other two men who'd attacked them, two bodies were on the ground, the blood from their wounds ran down the roads with the flow of the rain. The twins were both unscathed and had turned to face the Russian who was now looking between Jamie and Joseph to the twins behind him, that's when it dawned on him he was outnumbered despite his skill and Jamie's injury.

"Very entertaining, I hope to see you again soon" said The Russian. As he looked at everyone Jamie in particular as he still clutched his ribs, whilst attempting to control his breathing. With a laugh he was gone amongst the obsidian flames which rose up around him leaving nothing but silence.

"Who the fuck was that Joseph?" asked Farn as he walked over to check on Taylor who was still out cold, completely oblivious to the battle that just unfolded a mere few feet from him.

"No idea, he kept his mind void of any information, he must've known who I was" said Joseph.

"Well whoever he is, he's skilled and highly dangerous. Hopefully Tobias or Ryne knows who the mysterious giant is" said Farn as he pressed two fingers to Taylor's neck checking his pulse to find a steady beat strumming beneath the skin.

"We'll worry about that later. As for now we've got some cleaning up to do, Farn and Michal torch everything here I'll take these two back to base" said Joseph gesturing with his thumb to the unconscious Taylor and wounded Jamie.